3200 One of the last.

Nick B

Looks like PK have serviced the car for the last 4+ years so hopefully he has some idea of its past but yes, wouldn't consider buying it without the inspection - I've read enough posts here to know it's crucial!

It's a shame PK are a 100+ mile round trip though, I thought they were a bit closer on first glance. Would the car need to go back to the garage for the inspection or could they do it on site? Not sure how open the dealer would be to letting the car go so far...

highlander

Looks like PK have serviced the car for the last 4+ years so hopefully he has some idea of its past but yes, wouldn't consider buying it without the inspection - I've read enough posts here to know it's crucial!

It's a shame PK are a 100+ mile round trip though, I thought they were a bit closer on first glance. Would the car need to go back to the garage for the inspection or could they do it on site? Not sure how open the dealer would be to letting the car go so far...
100 miles up here is nothing!
if he wants the sale and you cover the petrol I don't see why not........it is in his interest. if phil serviced it recently he may well have a good idea of outstanding jobs anyway. I bought marci without inspection in march but phil had serviced her only the month before so I knew what I was getting.........only proviso is I bought from a forum member, not a garage so if phil serviced it 6 months or so ago then an inspection may be required to fully reassure you:unsure:

bigbob

Best to give Phil a ring and have a chat - he is a nice guy and will tell you what he knows. As highlander infers, if it was serviced recently then taking a punt might be ok.

madmanmart

Thought I would comment on here as I travelled up from stoke to view this car a few weeks ago. I had a good look round it and offered him a what I considered a decent offer of 11k as the colour is stunning but the dealer didn't want to play ball at all.
In the end we ended up buying a car from Richard Grace which blew this car out of the water.

Things I picked up were:
OSR shock leaking
Cambelt due
Windscreen cracked around rear view mirror
Rust on tailgate (after the dealer assured me there was none when I enquired).
Mirrors and wheels need attenion as menioned at the start of this thread.

highlander

Thought I would comment on here as I travelled up from stoke to view this car a few weeks ago. I had a good look round it and offered him a what I considered a decent offer of 11k as the colour is stunning but the dealer didn't want to play ball at all.
In the end we ended up buying a car from Richard Grace which blew this car out of the water.

Things I picked up were:
OSR shock leaking
Cambelt due
Windscreen cracked around rear view mirror
Rust on tailgate (after the dealer assured me there was none when I enquired).
Mirrors and wheels need attenion as menioned at the start of this thread.

useful info madman, your offer sounds about right to me:excellent:

Nick B

Thanks for the help everyone - I had the car inspected a few weeks back now and it's still at PK awaiting a replacement shock absorber. I've made the dealer an offer which he has accepted and I'm flying up on Monday to have a look at the car before I buy.

There's a few bits and pieces that need doing which I will get sorted - most importantly the cam belt which I'll get Phil to do while it's up there as I definitely do not want to risk it snapping on the way back! Unfortunately that means I'll be flying up to Scotland twice but I'm sure it will be worth it when I have the car

Can't recommend Phil at PK enough - he's been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with, now I just need to find a similar indy down here, Grimaldi and Giallo aren't too far so I'll probably use one of them

rs48635

Thanks for the help everyone - I had the car inspected a few weeks back now and it's still at PK awaiting a replacement shock absorber. I've made the dealer an offer which he has accepted and I'm flying up on Monday to have a look at the car before I buy.

There's a few bits and pieces that need doing which I will get sorted - most importantly the cam belt which I'll get Phil to do while it's up there as I definitely do not want to risk it snapping on the way back! Unfortunately that means I'll be flying up to Scotland twice but I'm sure it will be worth it when I have the car

Can't recommend Phil at PK enough - he's been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with, now I just need to find a similar indy down here, Grimaldi and Giallo aren't too far so I'll probably use one of them

Well done and welcome aboard!
Have you put your name down for spare brake disks yet? There is a group purchase, and these are well worht buying and storing. Spend now to save later.

StuartW

Well done Nick. Welcome along and enjoy the ride, it looks like a fine one you are buying there.

Nick B

Thanks, just put my name down for the brake discs as the inspection noted the discs were a bit corroded.

I did some detective work on this car and found this was Johncwl's old car from the Maserati Forum (and before that it belonged to someone called goo)
http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/fb.asp?m=1070

Not sure if either of them are still around here?

allandwf

Congratulations, you should end up with a stunning car. Phil looks after mine, highly recommended.

alfatwo

Hopfully they'll be up around 26k again in a year or two..or is that wishful thinking

Dave

hodroyd

Nick B,
Well done if you do finish up buying the car, disc corrosion is probably because it has been sitting around, the discs will proably clean up, but obviously look at them and get them measured for thickness. 3200's if in good nick and cared for will start to appreciate, it's the badly looked after ones that drag the prices down, they are gradually dissapearing..!!
Cheers
R

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Thanks, just put my name down for the brake discs as the inspection noted the discs were a bit corroded.

I did some detective work on this car and found this was Johncwl's old car from the Maserati Forum (and before that it belonged to someone called goo)
http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/fb.asp?m=1070

Not sure if either of them are still around here?

It also belonged to Nigel (NigW) for a while. Congratulations on the new purchase.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I remember him, what happened? he came on here a few times then just went away

Nige is a very knowledgable chap and posted loads over the time of ownership of his 3 Masers. He crossed to the dark side and bought an Aston a couple of years back. He still posts now and again.

nigw

Ha, cheers Dicky. Yep, I'm still around occasionally, but haven't got bored of Aston ownership yet!

The grey 3200 was a superb car - totally immaculate when I sold it, and faultless in my ownership. PK Supercars said it was one of the cleanest they'd seen at the time - not even surface rust on the nuts etc. I understand that the next owner used it to commute - put a few miles on, I think kept it outside, and it sounds like the condition deteriorated over the past 3 years.

I was the 3rd owner. I spoke to both previous owners prior to purchasing (through Maserati Forum) so knew that it had never been in accident, had always been garaged and cared for all its life. It was sold for £26,995 by Meridian Modena main dealers as a Trident approved car 14k miles before I bought it privately. It had a new cambelt and clutch not very long before I sold it in 2011. Loads of receipts etc.

I hope you get it back up to scratch and enjoy it!

Nick B

Ah the missing piece of the puzzle! It's great to be able to go back and look at the previous owners experiences with the car.

I even found a few photos, this one is almost a decade old now:
992AA39FDC694953A9D0E019868D5085.jpg

I was planning on getting a service with the cambelt change but as it's had an oil change with filters + power steering fluid change and new radiator about 500 miles ago would there really be any point in doing another service? This was done 10 months ago however and I've read it needs to be serviced both on time and milage but surely the fluids and filters are going to be almost as clean as they were when they went in? Or am I missing something?

and don't worry Nigel, I'll take care of the other cosmetic bits and pieces and get it up to scratch! :)