Sound of standard petrol Ghibli versus the Sport Ghibli

richardstrudwick

Does anyone know if there is much sound difference between the standard and the Sport Ghibli or is it just the power difference?

Andyk

HAsn't the S got more power from its petrol unit....410 bhp against 330 bhp for the standard car.

bigbob

Only one way to find out. I've driven the S on the QP and it's a bit synthetic compared to a V8 but it's plenty attractive enough. The S does have a switchable baffled exhaust. Does the standard petrol engine?

Rwc13

Yes, I believe they both have the opening exhaust baffle in Sport mode, but I can't say whether they sound the same. I think it's unlikely they sound exactly the same, but perhaps one of the Bowker guys can confirm? I love the sound of the S. Certainly different to the NA V8, but fantastic nonetheless

Andyk

THe S must feel much quicker thanbthe standard car surely with a extra 80 bhp....Anyone had the chance to drive the two back to back.

Rwc13

Call one of the dealers and have a chat with them about it? I know James at Graypaul Nottingham would give you an honest appraisal of the sound of the two cars.

richardstrudwick

Call one of the dealers and have a chat with them about it? I know James at Graypaul Nottingham would give you an honest appraisal of the sound of the two cars.

I did and my normal guy wasn't there so the sales manager told me they were different, which I wasn't sure I believed.

However I have now spoken to my normal sales guy who says the sound is identical.

Bowker Maserati

i have to say i think they sound identical to me..........
But i will check tomorrow.......quick 'sound off' in the showroom me thinks :)

richardstrudwick

Well, whatever the answer, I ended up changing my Ghibli Diesel for the Ghibli S with Dick Lovett.

YES I did take a hammering but got a good deal on their ex-demo.

I know some have debated recently on not to buy ex demo but I do know that when Dick Lovett give you a demo they tend to drive first to warm the car up and then let you drive it, and it not as if the car nowadays will even let you go past the red line.

With the 21" wheels I have to say it feels like a different car to the Diesel.

Very happy.

Rwc13

Welcome to the dark side. I enjoyed my Ghibli D, and it may well prove to be Maserati's saviour, but the S is a totally different proposition. Great car. Look forward to your feedback on it over the coming weeks.

richardstrudwick

Welcome to the dark side. I enjoyed my Ghibli D, and it may well prove to be Maserati's saviour, but the S is a totally different proposition. Great car. Look forward to your feedback on it over the coming weeks.

Cheers mate. Will look at the link

richardstrudwick

Well I have to say that after a week of driving the Ghibli S, it has seriously changed my view of the Ghibli.

The Diesel was a lovely comfortable drive, the Ghibli S with 21" wheels is a wicked machine!

Seriously quick and amazing road holding!

Rwc13

Great to hear Richard, and couldn't agree more. Given a proper go, this car will convert many doubters about Maserati's current/future model plans.

Intrigued by the red S badge. Mine doesn't have it. Was it an option or aftermarket added?

Off to drive mine from Manchester to Sheffield today. Can't wait.......

richardstrudwick

Great to hear Richard, and couldn't agree more. Given a proper go, this car will convert many doubters about Maserati's current/future model plans.

Intrigued by the red S badge. Mine doesn't have it. Was it an option or aftermarket added?

Off to drive mine from Manchester to Sheffield today. Can't wait.......

Lol I purchased a cheap plastic chrome "Sport" badge on eBay, chopped the S off, painted it red with my girlfriend's MG Rover touch up stick and a bit of lacquer and stuck it on :)