Review of a 3200

midlifecrisis

The more items like this appear, the more people will realise what a great car they truly are. 3200 v 4200 aside desirability can only rise.

davy83

maybe she was born in 2000 and the 90's don't exist? Clearly not driven too many fast cars, I mean i love my car but my neighbours Audi S3 v6 would probably leave me behind these days, and she switched off the traction control straight away, which since she didn't die means either she wasn't pushing it or is a good driver. its great to see such enthusiasm, all helps to keep the value up!!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Built for more like 3 years or touching 4 if you believe the build figures or registration dates out there.

Davy I'm not sure that an S3 would leave it unless you have an auto?

Glad to see she got the first car built under Ferrari ownership too as nothing annoys me more than people saying it was the 4200!!!!

Chrisbassett

Built for more like 3 years or touching 4 if you believe the build figures or registration dates out there.

Davy I'm not sure that an S3 would leave it unless you have an auto?

Glad to see she got the first car built under Ferrari ownership too as nothing annoys me more than people saying it was the 4200!!!!

was it the first built under Ferrari ownership, but the 42 was the first that they had any real input to?

dem maser

They had input with the 3200, quality etc but not mechanical, they did build them under their leadership

midlifecrisis

It was pointed out to me that the 4200 was built to a profitable budget as the 3200 was more expensive to produce being one piece of metal from nose to boot. Make that of you will but the technology inside the 4200 is much better, dated nowadays but still good in its day.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep Dem has it bang on, Ferrari actually delayed the 3200 launch apparently due to their rigorous QA testing. Can you imagine how dog rough it would have been if it hadn't? :D

Martin, very true, 3200's not built to a budget and god knows how much money Maserati lost on each one!

allandwf

If you check an unmolested 3200, you should still see the yellow control paint on nuts and bolts.

davy83

The 3200 does have Ferrari control motors on the suspension? I thought the suspension control system was influenced by Ferrari? The engine and gearbox was Maserati for sure, and all that leather!

And yes I do have an auto (old age you know) even so i would give him a run for his money. I was merely trying to illustrate that fact that these cars are not really "beasts" there are a lot more brutal and faster these days. My old modified TVR was much more of a beast to drive than the 3200 which is relatively a delight.

Contigo

Sponsor
I think the Manual and Auto are two very different cars. The Manual is hard work and can be unruly at times. The auto is alot smoother and refined.

Contigo

Sponsor
The 3200 does have Ferrari control motors on the suspension? I thought the suspension control system was influenced by Ferrari? T

Yup.

46961BBE6B4F4731A294F44D062B823B.jpg

So proof that Ferrari had some input.......

Contigo

Sponsor
Yes suspension actuatorss Ian. 2 of them can be seen under the bonnet on top of the struts and the rear ones can be accessed without removing any trim from the boot area.

safrane

Yup.

46961BBE6B4F4731A294F44D062B823B.jpg

So proof that Ferrari had some input.......

Like most parts...outsourced, in this case to Germany and fitted to a number of manufacturers. ..I would gess the Ferrari name gives at leadt a 500% mark up.

dem maser

It was pointed out to me that the 4200 was built to a profitable budget as the 3200 was more expensive to produce being one piece of metal from nose to boot. Make that of you will but the technology inside the 4200 is much better, dated nowadays but still good in its day.

I don't agree....the 3200 interior was so good they did it again for the GS......