Granturismo vs Granturismo s

Andyk

I have had the same thoughts too... GT or GTS, which to me is similar to the 4200/GS debate. I have now had both a GS and two 4200 and the way I drive, find little between them despite the price difference. ..in fact a low miles face lift 4200 now seems to be worth more than, or at least equal to a mid miles GS.

So as pointed out earlier...if you want a hardcore sports car a GTS is the better proposition. ..but if its a nice GT the 4.2 will meet your needs at a considerable saving.

I think the difference between the 4.2 and 4.7 GT is much bigger than the 4200 and GS.....The engine size for starter makes then worlds apart from each other. The first time I drove the 4.7 I couldn't believe how different it was in its manners, speed and handling.

roger102

Not yet Mark but it was always a possibility after a couple of years, but now it's got the boxes on and I've spent the time detailing it back to its just out of the showroom condition I think I may keep it for a little longer, mileage is still favourable and it's looking as it should now.

Alfistatotte

Thanks guys for good inputs! I feel more people are in favour of the 4,7, but to do an exhaust upgrade on the 4.2 is not a bad option, and you avoid the need to change clutch once in a while as well.. By the way, regarding finding a nice white Granturismo it does not necessarily have to be pearl white, can be white as well, was this still a rare spec for the 4.2? By the way, anyone knows of any good german Maserati-forums? My car will be based in Sweden. Br Kriss

rd993

You don't need to change the clutch on the 4.7 Auto either.

Thanks guys for good inputs! I feel more people are in favour of the 4,7, but to do an exhaust upgrade on the 4.2 is not a bad option, and you avoid the need to change clutch once in a while as well.. By the way, regarding finding a nice white Granturismo it does not necessarily have to be pearl white, can be white as well, was this still a rare spec for the 4.2? By the way, anyone knows of any good german Maserati-forums? My car will be based in Sweden. Br Kriss

bigbob

You don't need to change the clutch on the 4.7 Auto either.

You are quite right and I am looking forward to not doing it on mine! Trouble is this forum is very much CC/MC Shift gearbox dominated. Part of the reason I am not posting as much anymore as I'm tired of posting about a car that many on the forum are not interested in/do not know exists.

Chrisbassett

You are quite right and I am looking forward to not doing it on mine! Trouble is this forum is very much CC/MC Shift gearbox dominated. Part of the reason I am not posting as much anymore as I'm tired of posting about a car that many on the forum are not interested in/do not know exists.

I'd even say we are 32/4200 dominated, with the GT playing 3rd fiddle to those and the QP, but that's going to change as time goes on and the GT In all it's guises falls closer to the price range of enthusiasts.

CatmanV2

Indeed. I agree with Chris here. In fact, even looking at Silverstone, there was a massive preponderance of 3200 / 4200s compared to everything else.

Personally BigBob I'm very happy your car exists, it's on my shortlist for next :)

C

rd993

I have noticed there are a lot of misconceptions about the GT 4.7 auto - surprising given that there do seem to be a lot out there. As I've said before, people should try both and decide which suits them.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'd even say we are 32/4200 dominated, with the GT playing 3rd fiddle to those and the QP, but that's going to change as time goes on and the GT In all it's guises falls closer to the price range of enthusiasts.

Indeed. I agree with Chris here. In fact, even looking at Silverstone, there was a massive preponderance of 3200 / 4200s compared to everything else.

Personally BigBob I'm very happy your car exists, it's on my shortlist for next :)

C

+1 to these comments. To BigBob's comment, I think the forum has a bias towards more spirited driving and there is a (mis?)conception that the MC variant offers a more engaging experience than the auto. I drove both and loved both before I got mine. There were two reasons why I went for the MC:

1. I preferred the noise
2. The last few cars I owned were autos and I wanted something a bit different. Anyone who wants to drive in auto even 30% of the time should avoid the MC because the auto mode is a pile of bollox.

Anyone who thinks the MC is better / faster / more sporty is probably wrong. If you want a sports car with razor-sharp handling these cars aren't really the right start point - they're big and heavy for one thing. What they also are, regardless of which gearbox or engine is used, is bloody gorgeous.

Post more, Bob!

FF1078

+1 to these comments. To BigBob's comment, I think the forum has a bias towards more spirited driving and there is a (mis?)conception that the MC variant offers a more engaging experience than the auto. I drove both and loved both before I got mine. There were two reasons why I went for the MC:

1. I preferred the noise
2. The last few cars I owned were autos and I wanted something a bit different. Anyone who wants to drive in auto even 30% of the time should avoid the MC because the auto mode is a pile of bollox.

Anyone who thinks the MC is better / faster / more sporty is probably wrong. If you want a sports car with razor-sharp handling these cars aren't really the right start point - they're big and heavy for one thing. What they also are, regardless of which gearbox or engine is used, is bloody gorgeous.

Post more, Bob!

Hear hear!!

roger102

Point 3 is the nail on the head! Nothing else to say.

1. I preferred the noise

Post more, Bob!

Newell

I agree they are all gorgeous. I have had a 4.2 for 5 months now there are so many ways to drive it and i think you need to have one for a while to understand this. It has a Larini remote exhaust and this adds some HP and a great sound (choice of two open or closed), race it hard sounds like the old V8 F1.
In auto you have 3 options Snow,standard, sport. You can kick down the gears via the accelerator or via the paddle shift dropping one or two gears. In snow auto 27mph can be attained.
Then you have manual option via the gear changer or the paddle shift. You do not have these options on an MC.

Newell

Good points here. Maserati makes three different cars you could consider - 4.2 auto, 4.7 auto and 4.7 MC. They are all very different but you can easily fit an after market pair of back boxes on a 4.2 to make it louder. I personally welcome the comment above about the 4.7 Auto having full manual control. I've been banging on about this for a while but it's not widely understood!

How does the full manual work on the 4.7?

bigbob

In manual mode on the 4.7 auto, it will not kick down like it does on the 4.2. Eg, if you floor it in manual 6th at 50mph then it will stay in 6th unlike the 4.2 which will kick down into (probably) 3rd.

bigbob

I guess that a large number of posts here are 3200/4200/GS so it would be nice to see more GranTurismo/QP owners posting and, indeed, joining up. I feel that all four (incl. Stradale) GranTurismos' have a place in the UK depending on where you live and what you use the car for but one is clearly not best universally.

What has surprised me is how well residuals have held up. If you look at Autotrader and PH, the cheapest GranTurismo is £35k which is something considering that the oldest cars will soon be seven years old.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I bumped into Nareman (Nuvola) at Brooklands a few months ago. He reckoned he would advertise mine at around £7k less than he advertised it for when I bought it from him two years ago. I'm happy with that.