Granturismo vs Granturismo s

Alfistatotte

Good evening! I think I have decided to buy a Grabtursmo 4,2. Somewhat appealed vy the S model but I cannot really motivate the price differance. The differerance in exhaust sound is quite substantial I understand? My thought is to buy a 4,2 and do a sports filter and sports exhaust upgrade? Is that wise if you want somewhat more "sound"? Anything to consider? I guess to avoid "red leather" interior for resale value. Cheers Kriss

safrane

A friend joined us on a road trip a few yeaes ago before the GTS came out. His 4.2 had a full Larini system on it which sounded epic amd cod be heard deep in the valleys some time before and after it passed you.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kriss. Welcome and good choice.

Give Noor from Torenno Performance a call. He put a sports system on his 4.2 and it was certainly not subtle. :smile:

Andyk

A big warm welcome Kriss. Noor is your man for exhaust upgrade for a GT.......Have you driven a 4.2 and 4.7......YOU will not be disappointed with either as both are great but both are very different in performance. If you can stretch to the S then it is well worth it...but if the the 4.2 is what you are really after then its still a great car. I rather like red leather so wouldn't be put off by a car that has it if it's a good one.. The deeper red is lovely...

BigR

Nothing wrong with red leather! Especially when teamed with a black car. Honest! And I have the bright red, rather than dark red. If it was a GranCabrio I would look for something a bit more subtle due to the style of the car, but for a 'bog-standard' GranTurismo, personally I think it works well. And is a bit old-school traditional in its way too.

Actually, I specifically looked for a red leather interior when I was getting mine as I'm of the view that its a car when you can actually have something a little different about it and it still looks 'right', a bit like Lamborghini's in vivid shades of green and orange. The other 2 views I take on it are: i) why be boring and German i.e. black & dull interiors; and, ii) enjoy the car rather than worry too much about resale, unless you're planning to do so perhaps only a year down the line.

FF1078

I wanted the S just because it had the larger engine and the MC shift options and these couldn't be had on the 4.2. I haven't heard a 4.2 so cant comment on the exhaust note but the 4.7 sounds awesome IMHO

rd993

Hi Kriss. The GT is an awesome car - you won't look back. So much more special than many of the alternatives out there.

I would suggest you try both the 4.2 and the 4.7 to see if you feel the price difference is worth it - dealers are quite accomodating in my experience. I have the 4.7 and the exhaust sound is fantastic but I'm sure a 4.2 with an after-market exhaust will sound great too. The other difference you will notice is mid-range torque. They are both fast cars, but you have to rev the 4.2 more - depends on your style of driving. Also there is a big difference between the auto box on the 4.2 vs the 4.7 auto (with the 4.7 you can take full manual control).

4.2 and 4.7 are both great cars though.

dem maser

4.7 for me, if you get a cheap 4.2, under 32k then alright but for the difference now id say 4.7

conaero

Forum Owner
Another vote for the 4.7S, its a totally different animal with the MC Shift.

If you buy the 4.2 you will always be wondering about the 4.7S...and the S will depreciate less I fee as they are still holding strong.

Mind you, there are some good deals to be had on the 4.2 now.

bigbob

Good points here. Maserati makes three different cars you could consider - 4.2 auto, 4.7 auto and 4.7 MC. They are all very different but you can easily fit an after market pair of back boxes on a 4.2 to make it louder. I personally welcome the comment above about the 4.7 Auto having full manual control. I've been banging on about this for a while but it's not widely understood!

FF1078

Good points here. Maserati makes three different cars you could consider - 4.2 auto, 4.7 auto and 4.7 MC. They are all very different but you can easily fit an after market pair of back boxes on a 4.2 to make it louder. I personally welcome the comment above about the 4.7 Auto having full manual control. I've been banging on about this for a while but it's not widely understood!
I think it should also be noted how quick the MC changes gear, not sure about the 4.7auto in manual mode but the MC at revs over 5500rpm and your foot on the flow changes in 40 milliseconds, now that's quicker than any person can change with a conventional manual car, it really is brutal when you get your foot on the floor.

roger102

I have back boxes and x pipe and it's epic. I easily out blasted the GTS next to me while waiting to go on the track. I have no complaints on the over run either, sounds great and now I'm wondering if I should keep the car I like it so much! Wife can hear me coming home now, just drop down a gear and floor it.

Hello Kriss. Welcome and good choice.

Give Noor from Torenno Performance a call. He put a sports system on his 4.2 and it was certainly not subtle. :smile:

Michael

If you are really going to drive - then I think the 4.7 is the thing to have. If you live in the congested home counties (I live in Ascot), south east of England and London save your money buy a 4.2 because you never get to go over 80mph on the motorways and around town I barely hit 30mph - speed cameras and speed humps - with the latter invest a £100 odd a year for a Hunter alignment.

The 4.2 is a nice car - the 4.7 is better but work out if you'll use it. Either way - these things aren't investments, but are an individual car that can be left outside and used daily.

Alfistatotte

Thanks guys for the comments! I think I definately must testdrive the 4.7 S ( do I understand it correctly there are two editions of 4.7S, "auto" and MC-shift)? Where they releasted at the same time? Which one is the more common "variant"? One of the favorite specs is the white/pearl white with black leather or brown leather. Are there many 4.2:s in white? Most of the ones I have seen are 4.7S. Cheers Kristoffer

Andyk

The MC Shift came first then the Auto.....Not many if any 4.2's in white.....The white pearl you talk about was a £5000 option....Not many of them about either.

safrane

I have had the same thoughts too... GT or GTS, which to me is similar to the 4200/GS debate. I have now had both a GS and two 4200 and the way I drive, find little between them despite the price difference. ..in fact a low miles face lift 4200 now seems to be worth more than, or at least equal to a mid miles GS.

So as pointed out earlier...if you want a hardcore sports car a GTS is the better proposition. ..but if its a nice GT the 4.2 will meet your needs at a considerable saving.

Wattie

Good evening! I think I have decided to buy a Grabtursmo 4,2. Somewhat appealed vy the S model but I cannot really motivate the price differance. The differerance in exhaust sound is quite substantial I understand? My thought is to buy a 4,2 and do a sports filter and sports exhaust upgrade? Is that wise if you want somewhat more "sound"? Anything to consider? I guess to avoid "red leather" interior for resale value. Cheers Kriss

I think you may find my experience of interest........
http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,13029.0.html

Cheers Wattie

MAF260

I have back boxes and x pipe and it's epic. I easily out blasted the GTS next to me while waiting to go on the track. I have no complaints on the over run either, sounds great and now I'm wondering if I should keep the car I like it so much! Wife can hear me coming home now, just drop down a gear and floor it.
You're selling? I'd like to hear her before she goes if so - local meet?!