gopro

highlander

just before we go right off subject......I was keen to know if the black+lived up to 4k quality on a 4k TV to normal 1080p video/TV since when we go on safari although I use a dslr, fiona normally uses a video to capture the bits I miss...........which is quite handy since I miss quite a lot!

CliveP1

i know father in law got a Pioneer 50 inch plasma some 10 years ago and it set him back about £6000. never seen a screen so clear. he had just come back from the States and they already had HD2 then. problem is the picture is so clear if you have lets say not very good eyesight you will never see the benefit of super HD. Its like the guy that buys a 50 inch screen and sits about 5 feet away from it. the picture is never going to look that good.

zagatoes30

Been talking about getting a Gopro for some time, given the price difference between a Silver 3+ & a Black 3+ the added functions of the Black are probably worth the £40 difference (Amazon Prices)

Will check airport process on the way hone tonight.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
There is a video on YouTube that shows the difference between a Hero 3 Black and a Hero 3+ Black. It's very enlightening and it's what made me go for the 3+. The main difference is the clarity of the colour; it's less 'muddy' than the 3.

LDM 3200

I would be tempted to go for the best you can afford, that being said I know a couple of people who ended up going for the black rather than the black + (which I think is slightly smaller but uses standard case)?

I have had the 3 silver for a few years and have been really happy with it. It is mainly used for when we are skiing and the truth is probably most of the options have more features / quality than I will ever need.

Some of them would lock up if the software was not updated or did not update correctly.

allandwf

Yes, it's a black, not a black + I have. Haven't really used it much though, so not much help.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Despite having decided I wouldn't get enough use out of it to warrant buying a GoPro I just ordered a Hero3+ Black edition from Currys' reserve and collect service. Same price as Amazon - £269. I just wish I'd had it for Silverstone.

I went for the 3+ because of its ability to automatically slow the frame rate to preserve clarity in low-light conditions, which seemed quite a smart idea. The 4k feature is no use to me because I neither have nor desire a 4k TV. Also, it shoots 4k only at 12fps so it's of questionable use anyway. The Hero4 will apparently shoot 4k at a decent frame-rate and seems to be set for launch around October. Would it have been worth waiting? Dunno. But, you can wait forever and there'll still be an upgrade just round the corner. As I'm generally of a replacement rather than upgrade temperament it probably won't trouble me too much.

Before settling for the GoPro I was tempted by the Garmin, because it has some quite interesting GPS data overlays built-in - speed, G-force, altitude and so on. The GoPro won because it comes with everything I need whereas the Garmin package excludes a remote control (£40 extra) and decent mounts. All in all the GoPro seemed pretty good value (relatively) and should tolerate most abuse.

I look forward to buggering about with it at Brunti on Saturday.

EnzoMC

Adam - your be impressed with it.

...I went for the 3+ because of its ability to automatically slow the frame rate to preserve clarity in low-light conditions...

didn't know that, I've tried the GP3 in bright light then into very low light and was impressed, not much glare when going back to bright light. at night with street lights it wasn't bad, bit hazy, but with no streat lights it wasn't any good - wasn't expecting it to be night vision.

I did a test on my daily drive and it was fine, tried it on the Mas at Silverstone and got a lot of windscreen reflection of the dashboard ? need to play around with location on windscreen - anyone found a good spot on windscreen to mount the GoPro

Chrisbassett

I put mine up by the mirror when mounting it on the screen. Suction cup as high as you can get it then hang the camera upside down, I think there's a setting to turn the video over so it's the right way up when you download it.

Looks like this
http://youtu.be/CAv5CcF4rLQ

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
at night with street lights it wasn't bad, bit hazy, but with no streat lights it wasn't any good - wasn't expecting it to be night vision.

The 4 will have some kind of night vision capability I think. Could be of passing amusement but probably not something I'd use much.

I did a test on my daily drive and it was fine, tried it on the Mas at Silverstone and got a lot of windscreen reflection of the dashboard ? need to play around with location on windscreen - anyone found a good spot on windscreen to mount the GoPro

Having used a normal camera mounted inside the screen I think the best approach is to mount externally. One thing which attracted me to the GoPro is that it is small / light enough and has good enough mountings that I'd be fairly confident of sticking it on the outside somewhere.

alfatwo

This was taken with an old Instamatic 5 years ago,so nothing changes then...we were doing about 90 at the time
Totally illegal in Switzerland of course :approve:

Dave
milano 2010 018.jpg

zagatoes30

I put mine up by the mirror when mounting it on the screen. Suction cup as high as you can get it then hang the camera upside down, I think there's a setting to turn the video over so it's the right way up when you download it.

That's where I mounted mine only problem is the reflection of the dash but good footage.

I am going to see if I can find a place without the reflection, a bit of trial and error I think.

CatmanV2

That's where I mounted mine only problem is the reflection of the dash but good footage.

I am going to see if I can find a place without the reflection, a bit of trial and error I think.

Let us know how you get on with that, please :)

C