Tyre Question

ManInBlack

Ok guys so I need 2 rears on my 2006 Quattroporte. No one seems to be able to give me a price on 235 35 19 99y, only 91y. What's the difference? & who to go to for them? I'm in the midlands. Andy

ManInBlack

Again they don't list 99Y so are 91Y going to be OK, I'm presuming not, but wander if anyone has any experience?

hodroyd

The "Y" rating is the load the tyre will take, on Maserati on acceleration they induce quite a high load, compared to a normal car, so the higher end is better..!!

Hi
I bought a front tyre for £215 fro my 07 QP a month or so back, just in case from a local dealer.
They have also quoted me £245 for a rear.
Both Pirelli Rosso
Both 99Y rating
Yes go higher on the rating but DO NOT GO LOWER
d

Parisien

Agreed, even though you might never go over 160mph.......;)....still need correct rating for insurance purposes

P

hodroyd

It's not just the speed, it's the load on the tyre..!! Like when you see a drag strip car accelerate, the tyres balloon under the load, the higher the load rating the better under hard acceleration..!!

bigbob

It's not just the speed, it's the load on the tyre..!! Like when you see a drag strip car accelerate, the tyres balloon under the load, the higher the load rating the better under hard acceleration..!!

Indeed, it's hard to buy a low profile tyre with an insufficient speed rating but very easy to get one with a lower load rating. I would check with Maserati as to what load rating is required as the tyres coming off could be wrong. If it helps a bit, the GranTurismo is 95 front and 100 back.

BigR

On the subject of tyres, I put on two new rears in April following a blow out incident. A few thousand miles later and one of the new one's has a nail through it... I know these cars can have 'personality' (i.e. be tempremental), but I didn't realise they came with magnetised tyres, attracting any stray metal within a 100 yrd radius!

hodroyd

Hahahaha, I thought when I wrote it and posted it that some bright spark would pick that up, nice one Ian..!!:wink:

ManInBlack

So I've now got 2 new Bridgestone Potenza's fitted to the rear, from my local usual guy for £222 each! Tyreleader were £205 delivered, plus I'd have to pay for fitting, so staying local worked for me, oh & the size is actually 285/35/19 99Y, was a typo in my original email! Andy