Cruise Control retro fitting guide

rs48635

Great write up :)
just a shame it will not fir into the 3200:(
I used to have 166 too, and confirm some suffer the failed self-cancel. The column stalks feel much better quality then the uno/Punto **** in my 3200. The spring loaded speed changer is great. Imagine what is must do for a 3200 on boost!

btw I live 5 mins from autolusso, if anyone needs me to look over or collect stuff, just shout.

Zep

If I recall correctly, there are a couple of cap head bolts and the electrical plugs have a tang you need to depress to pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
Hi Matt

How do you disconnect the stalks to enable swapping between the original from the 166 one?

Cheers, Roger

PM sent.

Both units are essentially the same, you can swap the 166 stalk into your GS unit by opening it up via the 3 phillips screws and unclip the tangs, its dead easy just make sure you catch the springs as the thing opens and check it all works and clicks nicely between stations before you put it back in.

conaero

Forum Owner
I would try and find a new one Rob, think they are about £100 and as I reported above I would not bother with a used one again.

hodroyd

Hey thanks for the tip off mate, that works out to just short of £150 shipped then..??

hodroyd

Thanks Mark I will get in touch..!! Last time I contacted them in July they had no stock..!!

miket

Once the stalk is fitted does it work straight away i.e. plug n play or do you need to activate something using SD2/3?

conaero

Forum Owner
I honestly can wholly recommend fitting it, its great for trans continental road trips and the best £100 you will spend on the Maser

davy83

I have an after market cruise control on my 3200 GTA, I will post up some pictures on a separate thread, for any one who is keen.

Contigo

Sponsor
Keen but not keen to start splicing my PP, especially since you built in and it's been ace! :)

davy83

i got it from these guys http://www.bridgwater-electronics.co.uk/

It requires splicing into the pedal pot wiring loom and there is a wire connection to the brake pedal switch, and you have to connect it up to the speed signal which is conveniently in the stereo wiring loom at the back. I got a stalk control and mounted it to the plastic cover around the top of the steering column. i must say it it quite unobtrusive and seems to work quite well. I think on a manual you also need a connection to the clutch and/or gear lever, my car is an auto so it was pretty simple.
On a cautionary note i have had more CEL problems from the pedal pot since fitting this, but i am not sure this is directly related to the cruise control, but it might be. The problem is I also remove and replace the pedal sensor in my car every week or so because i am still making these things, so my car is not a great example! So the errors are more likely the sensor as i am running one that does not meet its spec, because i sold all the others :). I will fit a good sensor within a week and see if it settles down.

davy83

The speed pulse is found on the red wire on the bottom corner of the white connector in this photo, facing you. The black connector here is an adapter for my stereo.

FullSizeRender.jpg
i got it from these guys http://www.bridgwater-electronics.co.uk/

It requires splicing into the pedal pot wiring loom and there is a wire connection to the brake pedal switch, and you have to connect it up to the speed signal which is conveniently in the stereo wiring loom at the back. I got a stalk control and mounted it to the plastic cover around the top of the steering column. i must say it it quite unobtrusive and seems to work quite well. I think on a manual you also need a connection to the clutch and/or gear lever, my car is an auto so it was pretty simple.
On a cautionary note i have had more CEL problems from the pedal pot since fitting this, but i am not sure this is directly related to the cruise control, but it might be. The problem is I also remove and replace the pedal sensor in my car every week or so because i am still making these things, so my car is not a great example! So the errors are more likely the sensor as i am running one that does not meet its spec, because i sold all the others :). I will fit a good sensor within a week and see if it settles down.

Contigo

Sponsor
I have to (like mine) admire your admiration for your 3200 after all the CEL's you've had Davy. Did you fix the fuse 16 issue in the end?