Cruise Control retro fitting guide

davy83

Fuse 16 is probably the accelerometer, which i have not replaced yet. it has only blown once in the last 18 months, so i am not sure its that big a problem? It goes when i hit severe bumps at speed, so high acceleration on the sensor? the trouble with fuse 16 is it blows for a serious collection of reasons. I have cured most of them!!

miket

Thought I had sourced a stalk from an Alfa Spares dealer only to be told they where out of stock, so I took a chance on bidding on a 2nd hand unit off e-bay, item now fitted and works fine.
Just been for a quick spin and I have to say it's probably the best £16.00 I will ever spend on the Maserati, £7.50 of that was postage, bit of a result !!!

safrane

Agree its a no-brainer of an up grade fro just a few £££...I have done it on two of my three Maser's.

Best cost benefit one however was getting Sat Nav in the first 4200. I installed the factory system for the princely sum of £4.99 and a little iT support for David Howson.

Matba

This article, and this forum, was the clincher for me buying a 4200 Cambiocorsa which did not have cruise but I really wanted this option on the car. I saw this forum and was really impressed with the level of competence and willingness to offer genuinely useful help shown by its members. I have read articles on some forums for other makes and often you really get the feeling that some of the contributors don't even know where the Bonnet Release is on the car they are apparentely offering sincere advice about.

I am a newbie having bought the car 1st November. I looked for the Cruise Stalk new via the Interweb and all routes to getting a new one came to a dead-end. Alfa UK are on Back-Order for this and and it costs £225 + VAT from them. I expect the Maserati price requires Valium after being quoted... - However, just by chance I accidentally stumbled across a Cross-Reference Site which stated that the Alfa Part Number 156018005 is also Valeo Part Number 251339. I then searched for this and voila! - £103.75 inc delivery from "Mr Auto" (French Company based in Lyon - don't mention Agincourt...). The only downer was it specifically stated "Not for cars fitted with Airbag". I dug deeper... Another company was selling the same Valeo unit at £120 (still a bargain) and they quoted it as being for all Alfa 166s. ALL ALFA 166 MODELS HAVE AIRBAGS. I decided to take the risk. Fitted it today and it is definitely the correct replacement. Spent nearer 3 hours on the job as firstly the Steering Wheel Boss was an absolute pig to remove (Had to use a 24" Breaker Bar on the Puller and braced the Steering Wheel with my Knees, a sort of childbirth position). It finally released as gently as a gun going off. I also spent ages meticulously cleaning everything as it went back together, and treated all the leather on the Wheel and base of the Dashboard.

I think the article was very good with excellent pictures (unfortunately I have none to add as I was against the clock/daylight). I would add for anyone who's asking that according to the Workshop manual the Steering Wheel Locknut should be tightened to 30NM. I tightened all other screws hand tight on a ratchet screwdriver except for the 4 Hex Bolts on the Steering Wheel, which I originally undid on a small Torque wrench to get a feel of how tight to re-do them. These I did at 10NM with some Blue Loctite 243 on the threads, but I could not find any reference in the Workshop Manual to these, so it was a best "guestimate". I also tightened the 2 Airbag Torx Security Screws via a wrench as they are done up pretty tight too (probably around 8NM) A couple of other notes - The "Car End" of the Cruise Connection is mounted on the left side of the Steel backplate with an Isolation Connector on it. Remove that connector and then the mounting can be re-used for the Cruise Connector from the new Stalk once these two are plugged together. One thing I noticed was that the Cancellation Tangs and white Cancellation Drum on my original non-cruise Stalk had been greased, so I used a fair bit of White Grease on all the these parts of the new unit before fitting.

FINAL BIG NOTE - AS STATED BY CONAERO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU START, BUT ALSO DO NOT RECONNECT IT TO TEST WHETHER EVERYTHING WORKS UNTIL YOU HAVE RECONNECTED THE AIRBAG, unless of course you have an SD2/3 to clear the Airbag Warning Light that you now have permanently up on the dash. Once done check everything works with the ignition on. Turning the Cruise on immediately puts the "Cruise" light up on the Multi-function Display. Will test it "live" soon.

Good luck all, and hoping this is of use to someone.

Matt.

conaero

Forum Owner
Cheers Matt, glad you appreciate the guide. We are 100% member focused forum.

You sound like your pretty handy with the spanners so I look forward to your first how to guide.

Front bumper removal is one that we are waiting to be done but I will be doing that one shortly as my rad is weeping and my bumper needs painting so it needs to come off for 2 reasons.

Matba

Alcohol? - The liver is evil and must be punished...as regards drinking abroad on a road trip (not while actually driving) at least French Bar Beer Prices make a Masers Fuel Bill look positively miserly...

Matt

miket

I've had my front bumper off some 5 years ago for repaint but unfortunately did not record anything, arch liners and headlights off first to gain access to the joint fixings, and quite fiddly from what I recall....

casadalloro

If its any use i can get 251339 valeo for £95 plus vat and p&p... Ive just ordered one for myself but it will take around 2 weeks as its a special order item with valeo UK.
We have a direct account with valeo...
Cheers, mark.

Andy Marshall

If its any use i can get 251339 valeo for £95 plus vat and p&p... Ive just ordered one for myself but it will take around 2 weeks as its a special order item with valeo UK.
We have a direct account with valeo...
Cheers, mark.

I would be interested in doing this upgrade. Are the parts still available? I feel I should be able to do this by following the guide! :rofl5: To settle my nervous heart - its just as described in the guide, yes? All the connections are already there, no ferkling under the bonnet etc ? Yes?
My car is a 2003 4200 Spyder, manual

StuartW

It's definitely a feature that I would have liked on my 3200 and something that I feel Maserati should have had as standard on these models

D Walker

TBH - Depending on your driving habits - I have it on my car and have used it twice for about 10 minutes.

Admittedly I dont do much motorway miles in mine.

StuartW

It's the average speed sections Dave that drive me mad, I have trouble maintaining a steady 50 as my right foot starts to get very impatient

D Walker

It's the average speed sections Dave that drive me mad, I have trouble maintaining a steady 50 as my right foot starts to get very impatient

I am with you on that but my problem is my speedo must be knackered - I sit at 50 and everyone - artics included overtake me!!!!!!