Nice (but expensive) 4200 for sale...

Contigo

Sponsor
When you look at Phil's car at 8750 it makes this one look very expensive and in some ways Phil's car is the better one!

Grill is much more modern and until seeing Doris yesterday I had never seen one on a 4200/Spyder. I always thought the facelift had the lined grille on the front.

Contigo

Sponsor
Shame and Great in the same breath. Glad it is going to a forum member although I think if it the person I think it is they were going to go for a 3200 so booo to them :D

Good luck with the sale of the Fezza Phil...

SimonCC

An interesting subject and it makes sense that some rubber will deteriorate regardless of mileage. I just think if I was in the market for one of these cars right now, and the 4-5k mileage car in as-new condition came up, plus I had a budget in the high 20s, then I would be very tempted by this car. It does look a peach IMO.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
While I understand what Dem, Peter, Adam, Robert, Drew, Chris all say about very low mileage cars - it's common place for Ferraris and cars of their ilk to have seriously low mileage in order to keep their resale values high. While I agree why have such a car and not enjoy driving it, I am not totally convinced it's such a bad thing to have very low mileage, as otherwise surely the Ferraris etc. would then suffer from the associated issues you talk about.

Just kicking it out there that's all.... ;-)

It's an argument that goes on and on!
Mines low mileage, bought it with 11K and its now done nearly 15K in a couple of years as a play toy.
Been absolutely fine!
If something fails due to age, (rubber perish) its going to fail whether its done 10K or 100K.
Tell me something that will fail 'due to lack of use', when I mean lack of use, I don't mean stood still not moving for years, but used relatively frequently but when used, like mine, might do 50 or 100 miles in a weekend (pure pleasure) but not say 300 or 400 in a week as a daily driver (75% stuck in traffic). So enough to keep everything moving and oiled, but not to put a lot of miles on the clock, and being low miles, has fewer failures due to wear and tear.
I rebuilt my Triumph Stag back on the road nearly 20 years ago, using mostly new parts where ever possible, a true bare shell rebuild. Again used as a weekend toy, and in the last 20 years I have done on average less than 1K a year, again no trouble at all apart from normal servicing. You get the same banter, they are always breaking down when used infrequently...no, if they are worn out and not used, they will break down when they are used, if they are not worn out, they won't break down!

SimonCC

When you look at Phil's car at 8750 it makes this one look very expensive and in some ways Phil's car is the better one!

Grill is much more modern and until seeing Doris yesterday I had never seen one on a 4200/Spyder. I always thought the facelift had the lined grille on the front.

I'm quite tempted to change the front and rear grills for chrome mesh - I believe they were options on the Facelifts. They do look very nice :approve:

zagatoes30

I like the facelift front on the older car, I would say that as I have one on mine.

This is a lovely car but I would prefer a good example with more miles and less price to suit the way I would use it. As always each to there own

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I agree with MJHeatchcote, spot on. Many of us on here seem to talk low mileage cars down, yes they're dearer, but they always sell. There's no shortage of people looking for a low mileage, cherished car.

safrane

Ferrari, Lambos etc normaly have very low miles as thkse who buy from new have plenty of choice when it comes to selecting what to drive each day and can afford to keep large amounts of money tied up in a sparingly used car. Maserati has always been a usable car and as such has normally done the extra miles.

I spoke to Emblem re thjs when I collected the GS the other week. They had just recomissioned a super americana which had done 4k over its fifteen year life. The major re commissioning and the purchase price were close to a million pounds on a car that was origionaly £250k...a tidy return if you can afford to have that much tied up in metal.

SimonCC

It's an argument that goes on and on!
Mines low mileage, bought it with 11K and its now done nearly 15K in a couple of years as a play toy.
Been absolutely fine!
If something fails due to age, (rubber perish) its going to fail whether its done 10K or 100K.
Tell me something that will fail 'due to lack of use', when I mean lack of use, I don't mean stood still not moving for years, but used relatively frequently but when used, like mine, might do 50 or 100 miles in a weekend (pure pleasure) but not say 300 or 400 in a week as a daily driver (75% stuck in traffic). So enough to keep everything moving and oiled, but not to put a lot of miles on the clock, and being low miles, has fewer failures due to wear and tear.
I rebuilt my Triumph Stag back on the road nearly 20 years ago, using mostly new parts where ever possible, a true bare shell rebuild. Again used as a weekend toy, and in the last 20 years I have done on average less than 1K a year, again no trouble at all apart from normal servicing. You get the same banter, they are always breaking down when used infrequently...no, if they are worn out and not used, they will break down when they are used, if they are not worn out, they won't break down!

I agree with Mike (as Gordon Brown would say) - I don't think low mileage-but-used regularly like this particular car is a bad thing at all.

Just a shame for the owner(s) if they have stored it to look at just to see the car depreciate in value...but great for the next owner!

SimonCC

Phil so if it's a 2002 3200 and on 60k mileage means only 5k per year - that's reasonably low mileage and for many would make the car probably a 2nd car/weekend drive perhaps...

dem maser

mine was a 2001 50k.....anything under 70k is low mileage to the public.......anything over and people are thinking 100k is too much...which it isn't but that's the general view

SimonCC

both low mileage cars then I'd say...

Dem have you replaced your 3200 yet (you've probably mentioned on other threads but I haven't been on here as much recently)?

philw696

I thought she was going to be a interim bit of fun but 4 years was a long time for me and led me astray into the prancing horses.
New owner currently enroute on Britain's finest railway net work.

dem maser

both low mileage cars then I'd say...

Dem have you replaced your 3200 yet (you've probably mentioned on other threads but I haven't been on here as much recently)?

not yet...GS hopefully next year but looking for bargains now or a good Alfa V6 for a year

hodroyd

I think our AC is still under 50K, so the mileage is reasonable for a 2002 registered car, 4k per year average..!!