Airbag light. Again.

outrun

It's on again after a spirited drive to a car show at the weekend. It seems to happen when I go over bumps on our amazing road surfaces.

I understand it may be the passenger airbag switch at the side of the nearside consul. Is there any simple way to deactivate it or do I need to visit PK Supercars for this? Should I replace the switch or is there any other possible culprit?

Ta

CatmanV2

It's on again after a spirited drive to a car show at the weekend. It seems to happen when I go over bumps on our amazing road surfaces.

I understand it may be the passenger airbag switch at the side of the nearside consul. Is there any simple way to deactivate it or do I need to visit PK Supercars for this? Should I replace the switch or is there any other possible culprit?

Ta

Certainly a possible culprit. I think the airbags need SD2 to reset.

C

Grinzzz

Certainly a possible culprit. I think the airbags need SD2 to reset.

C
Yes they do, after managing to trigger mine when changing stalks had to go get it reset. Only cost beer money as a thank you though, took him all of two minutes; spent longer talking about the other cars they had in.

Grinzzz

If you're replacing part of the airbag circuitry just disconnect the battery (i personally didn't trust the isolator switch) and leave for half an hour at least (I left mine two hours). The system should then be safe to work on. Even then I didn't really trust it, grounded everything before disconnecting and kept my face well out of the firing line of any things that might go bang.

philw696

I know when Loz had the car a side airbag deployed and he replaced it. I know its on here some where albeit a long time ago.
Might be the place to start looking.
As above always be careful when working with explosives.
Phil.

StuartW

Is this the red airbag / seat belt pre-tensioner light to the left of the display?

Mine is stuck on currently so was keen to find a remedy.

Cheers all

davy83

Stuart - are you sure you have not got the passenger air bag switch in the disable position? That makes one of the warning lights stay on permanently. Try changing it?
n terms of the rest of this thread on intermittent lights, i think the slip ring in the steering column can be prone to intermittent issues when the car goes over bumps and that door switch is definitely touchy, i would consider either replacing or cleaning it up. The system is also connected to the pre-tensioners in the seat belts and although i did not have an issue here they can also cause problems.

Contigo

Sponsor
The one on the left Stuart with a person and a round ball on their lap is a pre-tensioner and or airbag system defective lamp. Similar to this.

SRS_Red.jpg

The orange one on the right of the Binnacle is the passenger airbag deactivated lamp.

StuartW

The one on the left Stuart with a person and a round ball on their lap is a pre-tensioner and or airbag system defective lamp. Similar to this.

SRS_Red.jpg

The orange one on the right of the Binnacle is the passenger airbag deactivated lamp.

Thanks Phil, it's the red one that you have pictured above.
And thanks too Davy - I'll get searching through the system to see what I can find.

Cheers

highlander

SRS_Red.jpg

looks like lollie pop lady sitting down on the job..........lol

Grinzzz

I'll go with the SRS contact reel in the wheel. Dodgy bit of engineering that. You'd think being a maserati they'd use lasers and photocells.

outrun

I have both lights on which is why I think it's the deactivation switch on the side of the binnacle. I'll get it resolved next time I'm at PK Supercars.

StuartW

As mine has only been on since I changed the ECU and was never on before, I'm confident it is just a fault code stored on the ECU from the car that the new (s/hand) ECU came from and not on my car itself. So I think it's just a case of clearing the fault code which can hopefully by done by the SD2 diagnostic as someone mentioned on another thread.

Thanks all

davy83

Yes the air bag controller has a permanent memory of problems and requires an SD-2 to reset.

StuartW

Thanks for all of your help everyone. It seems that my air bag controller which is the ECU behind the radio, is shot. Two different SD-2 units couldn't get into it to reset it so a replacement unit is on its way. Once fitted, it's back for the MOT retest and then home at last.

highlander

Thanks for all of your help everyone. It seems that my air bag controller which is the ECU behind the radio, is shot. Two different SD-2 units couldn't get into it to reset it so a replacement unit is on its way. Once fitted, it's back for the MOT retest and then home at last.

shame it is not a simple reset but at least you know what the problem is stuart, hopefully up and turbo roaring again soon :excellent: