3200 hot start and fans

saintetienne

Afternoon everyone ,

I was out the other day and car stalled when hot , cooling fans where both running at full speed and there was no way on earth she was firing up . Then fans stopped and hey presto fired up instantly , I experienced this quite a while ago and happily I have not got into that situation until now . Has anyone got to the bottom of this ? - it is almost as if the fans are drawing so much current they are causing a voltage drop which is preventing the car firing up .

all contributions greatfully received

cheers

LORENZ-GS

This is the only thing I know to check and its easy. Its a resister, middle and bottom of the radiator. This can cause havoc with your fans. It will look like this pic if its bad. Note the blemish in the wire

Attachments

• RESISTOR.jpg
    RESISTOR.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 84

saintetienne

Thanks for the feedback , I believe fans are all working and switching correctly , they only come on fully when hot in heavy traffic etc , but when on fully starting ain't happening .

CatmanV2

Maybe it's pulling the battery voltage down too much. Might be worth running it up to full temp, turning off and seeing if you can start. Measure battery voltage while cranking.

C

beau

I was having issues like this, high drain electrics running car would just turn over and not start, fixed by fitting a bigger battery

hodroyd

Out of interest, what does the temperature gauge read when this happens..?? It sounds like a switching problem to me, maybe the ECU thinks the engine is overheating and a switch is preventing start-up, a switch that is linked to fans. Are there any warning lights at all on the dash..?? It could be linked to the resistor / sensor on the radiator breaking down and causing an intermittant fault..?? If the battery is at all suspect, or a bit weak, this could cause issues, have you had it checked..??

saintetienne

Battery is a pretty decent Bosch was checked last year and never has failed in actual fact it was turning over for a fair time when not firing and did not fail but I am thinking Beau may have a point and I will try a battery that is a bit beefier than stock . Temp gauge was reading around 90 , no other lights or issues . I will get a chunkier battery and see what gives, will report back .

thanks for all the input chaps.

hodroyd

You could always put another battery in the boot connected up to existing and see if that works first before changing..??

saintetienne

good call , btw the existing battery is a bosch s5 096 - so I think it is probably already a bit better than standard - we shall see .

cheers

hodroyd

That battery should be fine, it has a good cold crank output, if it is not that old it must be something else..??

beau

this is what i have got in mine, i just took the photo now, once this battery was fitted i never had a starting issue ever again.

my old battery was the same make, but an 096

beau

check what spec's your battery is though, cos yours being an s5, could be same! this being a large s4, it was quite cheap to buy, thats why i got it :p think it was about £50.

alfatwo

The 3200 fast fan speed normally only works when the air con is switched on,ie when the compessor's switched in...Geoff at Shiltec sorted mine out

Regarding stalling the engine,thats down to driver error!

Dave

saintetienne

Beau , battery looks about same size as mine (like the inflator foam - mine has that option too) will get an output test done and check it, Dave I know the air con was on at the time the car stalled (it was actually the car grounding in a car park that caused it , honest !) I will repeat the situation in a more user friendly environment and see what gives.

cheers

alfatwo

You don't really won't to carry a huge weighty battery out there on the right hand rear corner of your Maser...

It'll screw up the handling big time!

Dave

alfatwo

It would be rather nice to get an old 400bhp 3200 GT down to around 1250 kilos in road trim,any suggestions...

Dave