Postcode entry on GT Sat Nav - possible?

Rags

Sat Nav really is a bit naff on the GT. It would be significantly better if it allowed full postcode entry. Is there any way to do this?

Reading through this thread, it seems there is a way? But I cant find anything else on the forum with more details on how it can be done. I used to have a 2005 BMW 530i which also didn't allow full postcode entry but an after market Sat Nav disc sorted it out.

http://www.sportsmaserati.com/showt...Shift-Harry-s-Garage?highlight=postcode+entry

Any ideas? Thanks

Rags

Just had it confirmed that it isnt possible. Ignore this thread. Thanks

highlander

might just be me, but I bought a sat nav a couple of years ago and have used it.............twice. beginning to think sat nav = emporer's clothes.

kin

A cheap £100 Tomtom will do more, its ridiculous we have to pay thousands as an option.

Having said that, my Merc has full 7 digit postcode entry.

bigbob

Later German cars do but many over three years old do not. Nav is not an option on the Maser as it's a standard fit.

Brainsick

Its not really down to the car, its down to the manufacturer of the sat-nav. In this case it's a Balupunkt DX with the software by Teleatlas. ll the cars you mentioned have the same system. Personally I use my Garmin Nuvi and use the built in unit as a backup, I find the Nuvi much better.

Chrisbassett

Stick the suction cup for your garmin/tom tom on the built in satnav screen and make the space useful for once...well, that's what I do.

Blondie

Stick the suction cup for your garmin/tom tom on the built in satnav screen and make the space useful for once...well, that's what I do.

Ok, THAT comment made me laugh. Think I'll try it. I feel an idiot with my inbuilt satnav and then my TomTom on the windscreen.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member

You treat Doris' satnav with a healthy disdain, Chris. :smile:

My satnav amazed me at the weekend when it a) new the address where I wanted to go, b) showed me how to get there. Part of the problem is that the maps are 5 years old and pretty clueless when it comes to road closures. I've used brand new cars with the same issue and map upgrades for in-built satnavs always seem to cost the earth. I'll be buying the iPhone TomTom thingy as recommended by Matt.

Chrisbassett

I'll be buying the iPhone TomTom thingy as recommended by Matt.

With all the disdain the 4200 system deserves, Adam.

The tom tom app is great, but it takes up a lot of space on the phone, and "spare" apps started to make way for photos as the camera got better and better.

bigbob

My satnav amazed me at the weekend when it a) new the address where I wanted to go, b) showed me how to get there. Part of the problem is that the maps are 5 years old and pretty clueless when it comes to road closures. I've used brand new cars with the same issue and map upgrades for in-built satnavs always seem to cost the earth. I'll be buying the iPhone TomTom thingy as recommended by Matt.

The TMC on the GranTurismo is really good. In fact that is all I tend to use the nav for as I rarely go anywhere I have not been to before.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The TMC on the GranTurismo is really good. In fact that is all I tend to use the nav for as I rarely go anywhere I have not been to before.

It's the age of the maps and the not-very-comprehensive database of addresses which is a problem for me. Post-code entry would be a big help, but that's a common issue I think.

bigbob

Indeed but how often do you really need it? Anyway iphone does talking nav so in car systems are not that relevant.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Google maps a few times recently and it's been really good. Obviously needs a decent data connection and roaming charges would be a nightmare but it did demonstrate the redundancy of in-built navs.

Chris - any indication of much space TomTom takes up (W. Europe)? I looked on iTunes but couldn't see the size anywhere.

bigbob

I guess most of us can get close to where we are going so the talking maps are only for brief use late on.

Chrisbassett

It was about 1.5GB for the Western Europe maps, Adam. I've removed a lot of music from the phone since, but it has so many other uses that dedicating it to navigation is hard...try prying it from the screaming hands of a tired, bored 2 year old when he "needs" to watch airplanes taking off on youtube...
Oh, the joys...

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I guess most of us can get close to where we are going so the talking maps are only for brief use late on.

It's getting the h3ll out of wherever I am and the final approach into wherever I'm going where the maps come in handy. Oh, and when I'm abroad and haven't got a clue about the bits in between, either.

It was about 1.5GB for the Western Europe maps, Adam. I've removed a lot of music from the phone since, but it has so many other uses that dedicating it to navigation is hard...try prying it from the screaming hands of a tired, bored 2 year old when he "needs" to watch airplanes taking off on youtube...
Oh, the joys...

Thanks Chris. I don't use my iPhone for music but the photo syncing takes a lot of space. 1.5GB sounds like a worthwhile sacrifice to me. I think you're right that the greater challenge is in liberating the bloody thing from a bored toddler!

Tilum

Sat Nav really is a bit naff on the GT. It would be significantly better if it allowed full postcode entry. Is there any way to do this?
Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Rags,

I know this tip doesn't allow full postcode entry, but (in case you weren't already aware) you can input the first part of the postcode to find the area...
Ref. Sat Nav post #8

Hope that helps,
T