SportsMaserati Exhaust Modification Guilde

Tubber273

What a fantastic thread! Great job recording/posting/comparing to give us examples!
Thank you so much you guys!

I think the best mod I've done so far was getting Tubi's. I think they sound so great!
Of course, there's always the thought of getting the x pipe next!
However, I was told by the guy I bought the Tubi's from, that adding the x pipe makes the car..."obnoxiously loud".
To me...that's pretty much a selling point! Well that and he'll sell it to me for $200.
So very tempting!!! What makes me think, is this guy is in his 20's, loves our cars, and works at my local F/M dealership. If a 20 something year old thinks adding the x pipe is ( in his words) "obnoxiously loud".... is it??
Does anyone have that particular set up? (Tubi mufflers + x pipe)
Would love to hear any opinions!
Cheers!

SimonCC

So far, 4 X-pipes, 3 sets of modified GS boxes with 1 X-pipe and 1 set of GS boxes on order. The list of converts is growing and every one is, so far, delighted. Fancy joing the dark side as well Simon?

You never know Benny. I've removed the secondary cats and have Larinis at the back, which sounds epic. It would be interesting to hear the difference by fitting an x-pipe. I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that this would mainly increase volume now as the great sound is already there with the mods I've made.

So I'm already on the darker side, just not as far as some perhaps... :unsure:

rossyl

The trouble with exhaust noise is that it is 10 times louder for other cars/pedestrians than you can hear sat in the drivers seat.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
However, I was told by the guy I bought the Tubi's from, that adding the x pipe makes the car..."obnoxiously loud".

So very tempting!!! What makes me think, is this guy is in his 20's, loves our cars, and works at my local F/M dealership. If a 20 something year old thinks adding the x pipe is ( in his words) "obnoxiously loud".... is it??

Sounds like a good place to start, Tubber. You could probably work up from obnoxiously loud.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You never know Benny. I've removed the secondary cats and have Larinis at the back, which sounds epic. It would be interesting to hear the difference by fitting an x-pipe. I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that this would mainly increase volume now as the great sound is already there with the mods I've made.

So I'm already on the darker side, just not as far as some perhaps... :unsure:

It makes a big difference to the volume and to the tone. The pops and crackles are much more noticeable and it gets a proper hard edged roar. Tony (Tinman) laughed his head off when I first gave it some and just about every passenger I've carried has done the same. If your Larinis are valved then the sound levels would be perfectly acceptable for everyday driving in town, but if not, I would have to say you need to be pretty hardcore to use it through town. FWIW, I love the noise mine makes at full chat but I do like the option of turning it down when (rarely) necessary. Your call!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
What a fantastic thread! Great job recording/posting/comparing to give us examples!
Thank you so much you guys!

I think the best mod I've done so far was getting Tubi's. I think they sound so great!
Of course, there's always the thought of getting the x pipe next!
To me...that's pretty much a selling point! Well that and he'll sell it to me for $200.
Does anyone have that particular set up? (Tubi mufflers + x pipe)
Would love to hear any opinions!
Cheers!

Go for it! With a spyder you can appreciate the sound even more and if you have the standard cats, it won't be too loud at all, just nicely robust! If you do it, you will thank me and then wonder why it took you so long to get it done!

MAF260

The trouble with exhaust noise is that it is 10 times louder for other cars/pedestrians than you can hear sat in the drivers seat.
You say that like it's a bad thing! I think of it as sharing the pleasure with others!

conaero

Forum Owner
My secondary cat pipes are coming off the GS (american spec exhaust system) and they are going off the the SM exhaust manufacturer to be copied minus the cat.

Should be done in 3 weeks time, watch this space.

From the OEM pictured at the back to something like the pipe in the foreground, minus the cats.

OEM v Larini Cat 1.jpg

MAF260

My secondary cat pipes are coming off the GS (american spec exhaust system) and they are going off the the SM exhaust manufacturer to be copied minus the cat.

From the OEM pictured at the back to something like the pipe in the foreground, minus the cats.

View attachment 21045
I look forward to hearing the before and after noises!

SimonCC

View attachment 21045

Matt so you are going to effectively replace the secondary cat with a section of pipe? If so thats what I did - the cats were cut out and a new section of pipe welded in. You will also be replacing the 'flattened' section with 2 smaller bore pipes!? I've stuck with the 'flattened' piece.

conaero

Forum Owner
Yes Simon but instead of cutting up the OEM pipes I am going to have them made so I always have the option to put it back to stock.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Whilst I understand your reasoning, why would you want to put it back to stock? Mine passes the emissions with 2x200 cell cats and even removing the secondaries, you will still have 2x600 cell cats left and a fair bit less back pressure. I am sure any prospective buyer would, certainly should, welcome that.

safrane

Not sure what is running under mine...sounds nice but has taken a little getting used to esp when using engine breaking as its sound like a motorcycle is up my chuff...will likely nust go for an x-pipe to replace the center section and keep my center box for reverting to stock later at sale time...although I already have one in the garage with just 25k use under its heavy pipes.

SimonCC

Yes Simon but instead of cutting up the OEM pipes I am going to have them made so I always have the option to put it back to stock.

I'm looking forward to hearing yours Matt. Did you hear mine at Ace in March? Wonder how different yours will sound?

One for next time!

rattie

Hi Guys, Had my centre boxes removed and X-Pipe fitted by Marios some month ago also two front cats removed, very happy with the sound in norm and sports mode. Makes all the differance well worth having it done, not worth spending the money on larini back boxes at mega bucks!

SimonCC

I picked up my Larini rears from ebay so not too expensive. Well worth it, they taken me over to the dark side..... :jpbelial:

I am curious though about what difference an x-pipe would make...

CliveP1

I picked up my Larini rears from ebay so not too expensive. Well worth it, they taken me over to the dark side..... :jpbelial:

I am curious though about what difference an x-pipe would make...

had Larini back boxes done and love it, not to much drone and the sound is fantastic. enjoy

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Hi Guys, Had my centre boxes removed and X-Pipe fitted by Marios some month ago also two front cats removed, very happy with the sound in norm and sports mode. Makes all the differance well worth having it done, not worth spending the money on larini back boxes at mega bucks!

If you want, we can get your rear boxes modded for (relatively) very little money and you will have almost the same sound with standard tail pipes. Trust me, it works very well.