Ghibli diesel test drive in Autocar last week

Andyk

Yes I have driven the S model we had in, goes very very well and sounds amazing, a real grasping exhaust note.
Sold the car yesterday to a gentlemen who also took delivery of a diesel Ghibli on friday............I would have a guess he is probably the first customer to own two new Ghiblis...............
Gary

Lucky man......Does the s feel a lot quicker than the standard petrol...Its a big price gap between the two so would expect to get more for your money...

dem maser

Why do Maserati do these "half fat" versions?

There will be a diesel S in a year..... I guarantee it

bigbob

Finally popped into the dealer and looked at the Ghibli and QPVI today. I must say that the Ghibli looks much better in the metal than in photos (how do cars do that?) but it was a bit tight on rear legroom.

The QP does look a bit big for the UK and the rear doors do look long like it's a long wheelbase car. Perhaps the SWB QP could be the car to have if they made one!!

Preferred the dash of the Ghibli FWIW.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Why do Maserati do these "half fat" versions?

There will be a diesel S in a year..... I guarantee it

I wouldn't! According to the head of UK sales, there are mutterings that there could well be a twin turbo unit tweaked by Ferrari at the first update which may well be in 3 years.

I agree with you Bob, it does look better in the metal and, IMO, it is a good looking car.

Maser Sod

What does the S cost?

62K basic, IIRC - so 65-70K when spec'ed.

I was up to about 58K when putting together my spec for the standard Ghibli, but it niggled me that I was only getting 325BHP when the same money would get me that crazy V8 in the C63 AMG.

10K more would have got me to the 'S' and its 400 horses, but it seemed a lot of extra outlay for what is essentially a remap. (Happy to be corrected in this regard!)

Lee Jones Jnr

It seems odd that people are complaining about 'half fat' versions of the Ghibli whilst at the same time extolling the virtues of BMWs and Mercedes that offer many variants of every model.
I had a very quick look at a few Ghiblis today, very nice looking motor. It is difficult to think what car it will take sales from besides a Quattroporte though.

kin

62K basic, IIRC - so 65-70K when spec'ed.

I was up to about 58K when putting together my spec for the standard Ghibli, but it niggled me that I was only getting 325BHP when the same money would get me that crazy V8 in the C63 AMG.

10K more would have got me to the 'S' and its 400 horses, but it seemed a lot of extra outlay for what is essentially a remap. (Happy to be corrected in this regard!)
Mine also comes to about £58k when I added up all the options I wanted.
With the S model, you do get bigger brake discs with 6 pot calipers. and adaptive headlights

Agreed re C63AMG and also RS4 Avant for less money!

CristianMD

Unfortunately maserati's now come with diesel engines and I bet 80% of sales will be diesel. At least where I live, people want to show off but don't want to pay the bill. The diesel engine was the most important thing that made me chose the previous generation.

Rags

I understand what Maserati are doing and the strategy they are trying to follow but I still cant bring myself to like the Ghilbi. I have yet to see it in the flesh but in photos some of the cars I have seen look mediocre and cheap. If someone told me this was the new Honda Accord I wouldn't find it to be abnormal. Similarly the new QP could easily pass for a the new Lexus etc.......They both look bland and boring.

Contigo

Sponsor
That is down to the Chrysler influence though they are in danger of becoming a very diluted American market focused Italian brand and you can see that in the Ghibli and the QP V6.

Rags

If it is the Chrysler American influence then really its not a good thing. If they take the soul out of the brand by watering everything down then once the novelty has worn off people will assess the Ghibli only based on its comparative performance versus the mainstream competition. Thats because Maserati itself will price itself into the mainstream. Unfortunately, in that regard, I just cant see Maserati making something as well as a BMW 5 series. Just cant see it ever happening.

Just look at Porsche. Their 4 door saloon is more upmarket than the mainstream competition. I know it looks ugly as anything but the key is that it stands out by miles and is instantly recognisable as a Porsche. They just know the right formula. Maserati dont.

Contigo

Sponsor
Every now and then a manufacturer has to turn to a specific model to save them, Porsche did that with the Cayenne and everyone complained. Then came the Panamera Diesel and the same outrage happened. The fact is that 65% of the UK Panamera sales were diesel and again that his really helped Porsche boost their sales figures. I think we all know that the recent push and marketing of the Ghibli especially in the US (look at the Super Bowl ad) shows that Maserati truly believe that the Ghibli will help turn their fortunes and make them a truly global competitor in the luxury car market. The amount of new dealerships opening in the US shows their determination and with the Chrysler link that is made so much easier with one foot firmly in the door.

Rags

Also feel that Fiat should be doing this with Alfa rather than Maserati......

Contigo

Sponsor
Yes maybe but the Maserati brand sells better or at least it has more of a luxury image. Making an executive saloon Alfa doesn't work we all know that after looking at sales of the 166 whilst as good a car as it was it just could not pull people away from the usual suspect German marques.

Rags

Yes maybe but the Maserati brand sells better or at least it has more of a luxury image. Making an executive saloon Alfa doesn't work we all know that after looking at sales of the 166 whilst as good a car as it was it just could not pull people away from the usual suspect German marques.

Contigo I agree with your points but I just cant see the QP and Ghibli designs as being successful. They just look too bland and to my eyes anyway aren't recognisable as Maseratis. What I am trying to say is that to be successful they have to distinguish themselves in some way and sell themselves are more upmarket and hence worth paying a premium for.

You can look at any Porsche and know its a Porsche without reading the badge. Maybe its a matter of time whilst Maserati establishes its new look. But I honestly feel that the QP and to a lesser extent the Ghibli do not meet the standard required. Its all down to personal preference and I know that a number of people on this forum like them but they are not for me.

Also, I would much prefer it if Maserati did the following and in this order:

1. Release a cracking 50-60k Sport Car - get the brand more mainstream and more recognisable.
2. Replace the GT with something of similar price or slightly more. Sell 1 to those that aspire to 2.
3. Release the Levante which I think will sell very well if they get it right
4. Then consider replacing the QP with something that sits at a slightly lower price point than the current model but above the Ghibli.

Just my two cents.

Contigo

Sponsor
I don't disagree with you Rags. After driving the Ghibli and spending time with the new QP I feel that Maserati are being governed and pressured by FIAT and massively by the Chrysler arm. The styling, build and control reeks of Americanism to me. I like the Ghibli as an alternative to the Bimmer etc but its just that the best or most exclusive of a class. It does not give me the same feeling as the older marques, GT or GS etc....

I think the next 12-24 months are crucial for Maserati as they put their Levante SUV into production and then look at building the Alfieri. The Alfieri will be the real test of how much passion they can reinject into the brand and deliver a car which we can all lust after.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Contigo I agree with your points but I just cant see the QP and Ghibli designs as being successful. They just look too bland and to my eyes anyway aren't recognisable as Maseratis. What I am trying to say is that to be successful they have to distinguish themselves in some way and sell themselves are more upmarket and hence worth paying a premium for.

You can look at any Porsche and know its a Porsche without reading the badge. Maybe its a matter of time whilst Maserati establishes its new look. But I honestly feel that the QP and to a lesser extent the Ghibli do not meet the standard required. Its all down to personal preference and I know that a number of people on this forum like them but they are not for me.

Also, I would much prefer it if Maserati did the following and in this order:

1. Release a cracking 50-60k Sport Car - get the brand more mainstream and more recognisable.
2. Replace the GT with something of similar price or slightly more. Sell 1 to those that aspire to 2.
3. Release the Levante which I think will sell very well if they get it right
4. Then consider replacing the QP with something that sits at a slightly lower price point than the current model but above the Ghibli.

Just my two cents.

....and here's my two cents; go and actually see one and then actually drive one, until then you are arguing from a point of weakness. I've done both and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You can't expand the range until you can afford to do so and the Ghibli gives them the chance to do so. Sure, every company wants to turn out a car like the Alfieri but you have to be able to afford it and Maserati, at the moment, can ill afford to do so. It's all well and good giving an opinion as to what, in a perfect world, you would like to be done but it takes money and the Ghibli gives them the chance to get the money. Please, pretty please with sugar on top, drive the ______ thing before you pass negative comments on what Maserati are trying to do. Until that time you are ill qualified to pass comment. Remember, they need our support.

Rwc13

I completely agree. I was sceptical until I'd seen it in the flesh and driven it. Photos don't do justice to it.......true of almost everything. Go and see it and drive it before you pass judgement.