Granturismo clicking driveshafts?

Conrad

I went to view a GTS at Graypaul in Notts this week and it was on the ramp having its driveshafts (I think) replaced under warranty. The sales guy James said that on some GT's you can hear a clicking at low speeds with the windows down that at first Maserati refused to fix under warranty. But apparently now they do hence the work being done. The car has only covered 10k miles.

I've had a search on here and can't find any further info on this. Is this a common fault I should be looking for when viewing used GT's?? I may have misheard what was being replaced/fixed but the clicking at low speeds was definitely the fault...

Conrad

Ad, it has an MC Shift box.

I wasn't overly concerned as the car is under extended Maserati warranty until March 2015, I was just wondering if this is something I should be looking out for. I'll more than likely buy a car under warranty anyway but even so wouldn't want the hassle of trying to claim, especially if a 3rd party warranty.

I will clarify with the sales guy exactly what work has been done when I speak to him next. I'm still 3 - 4 weeks away from having the funds in place for my purchase so was in no rush to pursue this particular vehicle, don't want to set my heart on something that may sell before I'm ready to buy.

conaero

Forum Owner
I had this on mine.

The driveshafts are bonded into the diff with locktite and after a while, the locktite breaks up and play sets in.

You could simply remove them and re locktite them but this is not the recommended Maserati procedure.

Personally, I think the locktite thing is a red herring and its actually poor quality drive shafts that they are replacing under warranty.

I noticed it when reversing off my drive then pulling away forward positively. You get a 'ping' come from the back of the car which is the play taking up.

Conrad

Cheers Conaero, glad to know what this is.

I've not looked into the warranty side of things just yet, but anyone have any idea if a 3rd party warranty provider like RAC would replace something like this?

Obviously Maserati do under their's, just not too familiar with warranties as never really needed one before.

conaero

Forum Owner
I would have thought not Conrad, its not a failure, its just play.

The Maserati warranty is so good thats why it replaces them, but TBF, they probably send the failed parts back to the manufacturer and get them so pay for the claim.