Help needed: Misfires and other CEL's - Detailed account of the situation

ecarca

PART 1, BACKGROUND

All right: I am finally taking time to write that troubleshoot thread. I need help because I am running out of ideas and already tried many things. I will try to be as precise as possible and to include all the details.

I mainly use the car in “sport” mode and I don’t think it matters for the problem. The first things I noticed after I took the car were the following:

After accelerating hard up then braking and downshifting to a complete stop, the engine tends to die on restart. It still happens but I believe this is related to clutch engagement, and giving a bit more throttle on restart. That could be linked to the problem down low in the rpm that I will describe extensively.

Other things I noticed back then were:
1. Some kind of rattle when the car was cold. It sounded like some kind of exhaust rattle but I tend to believe it is the clutch or flywheel. It only happens while driving at low rpm. There is some kind of light clunking sound. That sound has greatly attenuated since the recent changes (that I will detail as well).
2. A whining sound when going up a ramp, clearly the clutch I think and not too important.
3. A hesitation under 2000 rpm, that seemed to be clutch related but I don’t think it is after 3 months of troubleshooting.

This car has for sure been in a lot of stop and go traffic before and I now drive it in an hyper urban environment with similar conditions.

Besides, motorway driving is a breeze. Shifts are perfect, smooth and quick at speed, on the highway and while accelerating hard, the clutch does not slip. All the "problems" are low speed and low rpm related.

To summarize, the main symptoms were: idle ok, maybe slightly rough but really really slightly; there is a very slight vibration. If the car is cold and you press the throttle slightly, it will be kind of stutter-ish. This situation happens also while driving below 2000 rpm. When the car is warm, there is no apparent loss of power and the problem seems at least attenuated if not gone.

The DTC then were:

Multiple misfires and misfires on each cylinders: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308
P0040: O2 Sensor Signals Swapped Bank 1 Sensor 1/Bank 2 Sensor 1
P1556: Fault at empty fuel tank/air injection sys
P2097: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 1
P2099: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 2
P2177: System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1

These codes were not pulled together at the same time. The misfires are almost always here, the others take time to come. After the plugs change I only had P0300 to P0304. Then the rest of the P030X, and the P0040 and P2099 for the first time. The rest were pulled and cleared before.

What was done or checked back then: fresh service (all filters and fluids - the car drove better after), spark plugs changed, and dealership checked cats, vacuum leaks, intake leaks and fuel pumps, clutch (67%), battery. They put the misfire problem on bad fuel quality (supposedly used by the previous owner) and average condition spark plugs, which obviously sounds like easy scapegoats and said it was not a big issue.

My first leads were: Faulty O2 sensors, Catalytic converters, fueling: injectors or pumps.

Another thing is the coil packs were probably troubleshot before since I found 2 in a manufacturer's box in the trunk when I purchased the car.

I took pictures of the plugs afterwards. They are grouped by bank for sure but I don't know which one is bank one and which one is bank 2. They look fairly normal, still if they were all knew at the same time (unknown), one side looks a bit leaner than the other.

One bank:

20131201_140348.jpg

20131201_140357.jpg

Both banks:

20131201_140422.jpg

The other bank:

20131201_140428.jpg

20131201_140437.jpg

The fuel trims were going crazy, with big corrections on both banks, either adding a lot or pulling a lot. LTFT were way too high... Both banks and not very consistent. I swapped the O2 sensors before purchasing new ones.

The things I did after the service and the plugs:

I put injectors cleaner. They said I need to put one for 5 tanks in a row, this is not a specific injector cleaner, this is the local thing made by Sinopec that cleans injectors, valves, etc… I don't know if it is any good.

I removed the injectors on both bank. The injectors were fairly clean compared to what I've seen on Internet. The spraying side was looking slightly dirty. Since I did not really have anything to clean it, I only cleaned the surface with WD40 (quick soaking and wiping) and hope the inside will clean itself with the solution I dilute in my tank. It is probably not very useful but better than nothing.

Pictures:

20140107_231035.jpg

20140107_231039.jpg

20140107_230359.jpg

20140107_230427.jpg

20140108_000048.jpg

The last picture is what I wiped out, as you can see not too much but better on the tissue than on the injector...

I don’t know if it was placebo but the small hesitation seems to have smoothen a bit, only being there between 1000 and 1500 rpm instead of 1000 to 2000. The injectors on bank 2 were a bit dirtier than the ones on bank 1.

Then I replaced the 3 out of the 4 O2 sensors, one secondary was out of stock.

I also cleaned the MAF sensor. It did not look dirty at all.

The fuel consumption is definitely high, I am at 39.5 L/100 km on the last tank. It is in an hyper urban environment, driving like a madman and revving to the redline (cf. videos) but still I thought in that environment with that driving style I should be closer to 30L/100?

I think that I might replace the MAF since it definitely has to do something with Fuel injection but I don't think mine fails since the car works well past 2000 rpm. It could be off charts at best...

ecarca

PART 2, LAST DEVELOPMENTS (as of yesterday)

I received the last O2 sensor and installed it yesterday. I have, so far, no more O2 related CEL’s.
The low rpm drive and clod start clearly is way BETTER than before.

I think this second set of sensors, the one after the catalytic converter plays quite a big role in adjusting fuel injection. I actually read another thread in the forum where someone having a similar problem replaced the second set of sensors and it solved the problem. If the car has drivability issues at low RPM, that could be one thing to dig into.

Now my 4 O2 are new, these cannot be the problem. What they see is what happens for sure! So far I did not have any O2 related codes so I consider this addressed and drivability improved a great deal.

Where does it leave us for now? Let's see in pictures:

Screenshot_2014-01-29-19-02-02.jpg

Screenshot_2014-01-29-19-03-43.jpg

1. Still misfires, on both banks
2. Bank 2 fueling seems to be good, no big correction.
3. Bank 1 fueling is correcting for a sensed lean condition.
4. There is no air leak at the intake for sure, I triple checked.
5. I checked for vacuum leaks and did not find any but I might not have checked 100% properly.
6. I cleaned the MAF. A faulty MAF would probably make the car run much worse than the way it runs, I don't think it is faulty but can't exclude it 100% although I also checked the airflow it indicates in cfm, it is stable and consistent with the different rpm I checked it at.
7. I cleaned the injectors manually and not the inside so we have no indication about their flow. I am about 100% sure that that car was run on bad grade fuel (China countryside ownership) with owners that probably did not know or did not care for the last 8 years, and a bad quality low grade because where the car comes from there is nothing else (low octane - I guess 93 RON at best which is 89 AKI in the US, high sulfur content, etc). I run on 98 RON now.
8. I did not check the fuel pressure, the dealership did check and said it was fine. I will get my gauge in about 10 days so no way to check before because everything is closed for Chinese New Year.
9. The cats are good and I only have the primary ones left on the cars.
10. Spark plugs are good because I changed them a couple of month ago (Denso) thanks to the DYI here by the way ;)
11. There is some kind of light vibration, clinking noise when the car is in gear at very low rpm (1000 to 1500). It is a bit like the sound you have replacing a dual mass flywheel by a single mass flywheel. It makes the exhaust vibrate as well I believe or at least it sounds like that. I attribute this to the clutch but I don't know for sure if it comes from there or if it the misfires causing that vibration. That noise was much louder before the O2 sensor change.

I hope it is not the ECU or harnesses because that would surely turn to be a nightmare.

So I am running out of ideas. I could have the injectors professionally cleaned to be sure but I'd prefer to be sure the misfire problem comes from potentially bad flowing injectors. This said, why is the lean condition only sensed on bank 1. If there was big misfires, wouldn't the car sense rich instead since the fuel would get out of there unburnt?

Long story short, the car runs much better at low revs and great at higher rpm (or at least from my point of view - but you can always check the videos I posted in the cat bypass thread to have an idea) but still not the way it should: misfires and that slight hesitation, so this is a headache.

Please any ideas or hints are welcome because I'm running out of steam, really!

ecarca

The gas mileage is better too. Only 34L/100km on this tank, which is still huge but better and not that surprising considering the driving style and driving environment.

ecarca

Ok, here are the latest developments.

I checked the CEL codes before taking the car. These codes are the result of about 3 days driving, so they can be considered an accurate account of what is left to deal with on the car.

Misfires: P0300, P0301 to P0308 (all of them)
P2099: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich bank2
P2177: System Too Lean Off Idle bank1

I took the car outside and started to inspect the secondary air system. I found that there was a screw missing on bank2 secondary air valve, on the flange fixing it to the manifold (see pictures).

20140203_133411.jpg

20140203_133420.jpg

I am not sure if this was creating any leak since there is apparently sealant on it. So I borrowed the screw from one coil since there is 2 on each and tighten the valve back. At the same time, I tightened the screw bolt clamp ties on each secondary air valve.

Then I went for a short drive. The problem is still here, as before.

The fuel trims have changed, again... (see picture below):

Screenshot_2014-02-03-14-45-56.jpg

I checked the vacuum, it is at 22 in/Hg at idle. I don't know if it is inline with what you have as well.

The first CEL codes to get back are bank 1 related: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 and P0304, then P0307 showed up....

So next step, as already mentioned: fuel pumps pressure, then replacing 2 injectors on bank 1 to see if the misfires are still present in the 2 cylinders where I will replace them.

ecarca

Thinking about it the P2099 could be the result of that valve since it could have created an exhaust leak at the header... for the rest, no idea. I will see if the P2099 comes back in the next days.

ecarca

I drove for a bit in the meantime, including motorway and city.
Current codes are P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0307

The Fuel trims went back to "normal" so still adding a lot on bank 1.

Screenshot_2014-02-03-18-45-28.jpg

ecarca

I think I just finally pinpointed it! :)
Or at least I pinpointed what will address the main symptom left: that 1000 to 1500 rpm hesitation / stuttering.

I was inspired today, so while going out for dinner, I unplugged the MAF. The throttle was perfect, no more slight hesitation between 1000 and 1500, smooth, etc...

The only CEL I got were P0113 about the intake air temperature circuit and P0102 about Mass Air Flow circuit, which is totally normal since the MAF was disconnected. Other than that the car was running better than it ever did :)

The MAF is definitely the culprit of that slight 1000 to 2000 rpm hesitation. So I am now quite sure than with the new O2 and with the new MAF, all the drivability issues will be solved.

Does that mean I will get rid of the misfires? Possibly if the MAF was the only cause but not necessarily, since I believe the misfires codes don't show up if you have a MAF CEL which is the case now. So I will figure that out later but I'm quite happy :)

CatmanV2

You know, I was thinking MAF earlier, but I couldn't see why it would only trim on the 1 bank.

And you've done so much more than I would know how, it seemed foolish of me.

Hope you've finally got a fix

C

ecarca

It seems to be this, at least for the drivability. I won't know for the misfires until it's replaced :)

Another thing I forgot to mention, with the MAF disconnected, the vacuum reads 29 instead of 22.

I just spent 2 hours searching a sensor on Internet, I found the equivalent part numbers in the related thread but not that easy to find a cheap supply for original Bosch sensors.

adam01

This is a common part i believe, maybe areference to it on this site

Will look 2nite 4 u

BTW congrats on yr presistence hope its a resolution

ecarca

Thank you Adam!
I found a MAF assembly in China, for about 115 USD. I could pull the sensor and put it into my housing. It has the following one, which supposedly works for us: F00C2G2030. I will keep on searching for one locally but if you have a link of a shop in USA, or in Europe or else that ships worldwide, I am a taker.

I purchased the O2 sensors from Ebay, from that shop in Latvia. Pricing was great and they ship worldwide through Latvia post (free) so it might be useful for you guys in Australia. It took 10 days to arrive in China and China post is VERY slow so it might even be faster to Australia.

This said, I was starting to get tired to troubleshoot this issue. It's fun and keeps you busy but I was close to hopelessness, even though I made significant progresses step by step. Let's see if I'm done with the misfires after the MAF is replaced. I think I will but future will tell. I also tried to document this as much as possible, so that this thread can help people with a similar issue to solve it faster.

CatmanV2

Ecara, if you need something that can be delivered to the UK, I can forward ship for you.

C

ecarca

I'm in touch with Bosch here, they might be able to get me the sensor. These are not easy to get... Any pointers are still welcome in case this does not work.

Good thing with the MAF disconnected and the car running properly I went down to a much more reasonable 27L/100km of gas mileage.

ecarca

For the MAF, I ended up ordering the complete following assembly: Bosch 0280218019 from that Ebay shop in Latvia shipping worldwide for free (same where I ordered my O2). It has the insert F00C2G2030 that is one proven replacement (Used in many Alfa Romeo cars: 145, 147, 156, 166, etc.). It is 150$ shipped, I could not find anything better.

I'll update the thread after the installation, I guess in about 15 days.

conaero

Forum Owner
Great work. Can you list the Alfa models with the same insert?

I have a MAF new in my garage for an Alfa GT, is the number written on the insert, the bit that screws into the chamber which the electrics plug into?

ecarca

Well there are many of them ;)

Basically, we want to get one sensor insert with one of these 4 references: F00C2G2044 (original), F00C2G2030 , F00C2G2033 and F00C2G2027 (replacements). There are probably more but these have been cross referenced previously by forum members.

The candidate F00C2G2030 happens to be the one used in many Alfa. That particular full MAF assembly 0280218019 fits 145, 146, 156, GTV, in some Lancia and some FIAT. There are many threads on Alfa forums about this.

Check the detailed list here (this is the one I purchased):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-145-146-Fiat-Lancia-Bosch-MASS-AIR-FLOW-Sensor-MAF-1-6-2-4L-1997-2007-/160932324364?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257850640c&vxp=mtr

I believe the V6 models at Alfa have the same sensor as our original one, so if your GT is for the 3.2 you might have one. It's easy, unscrew it and check the part number on the insert.

It seems that there are also cheap MAF assemblies with the F00C2G2027 but I focused on that other one.

Edit: in fact, the Vauxhall MAF Bosch 0281002180 also has that F00C2G2030 insert and is 126 USD shipped. I am trying to modify my order.

As a matter of fact, the sensors F00C2G2044, F00C2G2030, F00C2G2033 are almost always listed as replacements for each other, so it seems that the risk is close to 0.

ecarca

I received my fuel pressure gauge. I checked at both rails: about 45 psi while the system is pressurized and 50 psi with the engine on. Steady if I rev. I'm good with this for sure.