FLAT battery on my MC Stradale.

jcf

I am indeed an idiot.

I bought a nice CTEK trickle charger for the car before I went away on holiday for 2 weeks, then promptly forgot to attach it. Oh and I left the lights on.

One very FLAT battery. I know how to open the boot so I have done so and attached said charger.

My question is : will all the warning messages go away once I charge to battery? I seem to be getting faulty airbag, power steering, transmission etc etc warning lights. It is like a Maserati Christmas Tree.

I assume I have not done any lasting damage here by letting it get so flat?

Finally any idea how long it will take to charge to be able to start? I have a guy coming in the morning to do a detail on it, I would prefer no to have to push it onto the drive like a prize melon.

Thanks in Advance

John

MAF260

Sorry to hear of your trouble, John. I have an excellent idea to guarantee it never happens again - leave the car with me whilst you're away!

Provided you fully charge the battery, you shouldn't see a recurrence of the warning lights. I don't know how long the C-Tek takes to charge a battery, but would imagine that if you leave it on overnight there should be enough charge to start the car tomorrow.

be sure to post some pics of the detailing work.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You can't be that much of an idiot John, you bought an MC Strad. Case closed!

jcf

Thanks for that, I will inform the Missus. :)

I will post some pics of the detail the chap is supposed to be great. he said it might take 2 days!2 days?? how much fairy liquid is that???

outrun

Does the car not have a battery cut off switch. My GS does and I use it often without issue. I'd like to see an undesirable try to steal it without any power!

CatmanV2

If you actually left the lights on you may have stuffed the battery. If you have a high enough spec CTEK it'll have indicator lights as to what status the battery is. Contrary to MAF's comment, I'm pretty sure my CTEK manual states that it may take several days to recover a deeply discharged battery. I could be mis-remembering, though. My memory is not what it was ;)

C

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
What was it, C?

jcf, nice choice. Colour, quantity of seats? Pictures needed, please. If it helps, mine took about a day from flat as a witch's, but that was flattened by natural causes (well, time and Navtrack) rather than by lights, so it may have had a weak glimmer of life left in it. Not enough to unlock they doors, though.

Best of luck.

Bowker Maserati

John
Your CTEK trickle charger may not fully charge a flat battery, depending on the version you have. They are designed to maintain the battery and not all will fully charge a flat battery. That said the Christmas tree lights should go out once the battery has fully charged. If not a good 20 miles run will usually resets the warning lights etc. (im sure this will be your chosen direction)!!!!
If you are having trouble releasing the EPB, restart the engine a few times and it will release. Remember it is easier to park and leave the EPB off if leaving it stationary for a while.

Call me if you are having any issues.
Gary

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
If it helps mine is a 5.0 and has rejuvinated my flat battery once. I got the 5.0 because it understands trickling and conditioning but can also cope with full recharging.

CatmanV2

If it helps mine is a 5.0 and has rejuvinated my flat battery once. I got the 5.0 because it understands trickling and conditioning but can also cope with full recharging.

Same here. Have I previously mentioned that it has many lights as well :)

C

jcf

Let it plugged in to the ctek overnight. Nothing. just clicking on turnover. I take it it will be OK to push it out and jump start it off the Land Rover?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
****. Which model CTEK? I'd be reluctant to jumpstart. You might need a less aggressive approach / AA.

Hold on, let me check my manual.

OK, in red on page 196 the manual says: "WARNING: Under no circumstance should a battery be used for an emergency start-up: you could damage the electronic systems, particularly the control units that manage the ignition and fuel supply functions."

Sorry, jcf. Recovery service?

sjc

Don't jump start it, put a heavy duty charger ( not trickle ) on it. When charged and you can start the car, let it run for at least 15 minutes, then turn the car off and restart. The warning lights park brake and the like will then reset themselves. They won't go out ( nor the park brake release itself) unless you restart the car, irrespective of how much charge is in the battery.
Hope that helps!

bigbob

Don't jump start it, put a heavy duty charger ( not trickle ) on it. When charged and you can start the car, let it run for at least 15 minutes, then turn the car off and restart. The warning lights park brake and the like will then reset themselves. They won't go out ( nor the park brake release itself) unless you restart the car, irrespective of how much charge is in the battery.
Hope that helps!

Agree with this.

bigsteve

Similar problem, see my recent post " flat battery locked out of car ". Car was trailered to Dick Lovett's, initial response was it was related to Nav Trac system, am awaiting call from them shortly with full info on the problem. Will keep you informed.