Fuel flap release

Contigo

Sponsor
OK so just been to petrol station pressed the button in glovebox, nada. Looked in boot for red pull cord, nada!

Help got to go to rolling road tomorrow and need fuel!!!

Almichie

Sorted it, removed the small box and reseated it. Bizarre!!!!

I had this one recently, I thought it was the switch that was faulty; removed the switch block I'm the glove box, stripped and cleaned it and all was good for a while. Then the flap wouldn't close and it turned out to be the solenoid and not the switch that had failed (seized).

nfm

It can also be the release mechanism getting sticky, happened to me. Make sure it is well lubricated as well.

Almichie

If the solenoid is the problem (seized/seizing) no amount of WD40 will fix it, I speak from experience on this one!

An easy test is to see if you depress the black plastic catch easily and it should return just as easily, if not if needs to be replaced.

2b1ask1

Special case
I don't recommend using WD40 as a lubricant, it is great for penetrating siezed parts but long term it can be corrosive and make plastics brittle. Once free clean and use either a spray 'maintenance oil' or for door hinges and the like a white lithium spray grease. Just my 2p worth. WD40 contains only fish oils as lubricants, long term these readily replace with water....

nfm

Almichie, agree. However I am pretty sure I read that a sticking release catch leads to people pressing the button again and again which can then burn the mechanism. Making sure it is properly lubricated, noting comments above, can only help?

ratirati

I had this problem on my 2002 Coupe. It was the relay that needed to be replaced. I now occasionally put white lithium grease on the release catch.

Last edited:

davy83

The relays can be flakey. I replaced all of mine, and cured a whole collection of small problems!! its a cheap fix, why not. I would replace all the fuses too the cars are getting old now and this stuff corrodes etc.