4200 won't start

Tinman

Hi all,

There are probably a lot of posts on this subject but cant search now as I'm at work. I tried to start my 4200 CC yesterday. After two failed attempts where the car sounded like it was ticking and the dash lights flickering it started on the third go. I went for a quick drive of about a mile or so, stopped at a shop then back home. I cam to start it this morning and the same thing happened again only this time it wouldn't start. Luckily I am able to walk to work. I'm going home at lunch time to see if i can jump start it but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Dem's battery suggestion sounds likely if you commute a walkable distance in it and just had a quick run to the shops yesterday. Worth putting the battery on a charger / reconditioning cycle for a day. CTEK make some good ones which are well-priced from popular tax-avoiding retailer Amazon (what they don't pay in taxes we gain in low prices!) I have the MXS 5.0 and recommend it.

Tinman

Hi guys. Tank is full but as for the battery charged I can't say. The car hasn't had a decent run for over a week now so that could be the cause. I'll check out the charges on amazon too.

hodroyd

Exactly the same happened to me recently, everything ticking on the dash etc when turning the key. I changed the battery and all was resolved, the existing battery had one cell which was low and not providing a healthy 12 volts to the whole battery. Take the boot floor and side panel out, it's a lot easier to get the battery in and out..!!

Last edited:

hodroyd

I had the same symptoms Dem, leave it for a few days and would not start, spent a load of time charging the battery up and she would start fine, leave it a a few days and back to problems. If the battery is suspect, change it..!!
Choice of battery: Bosch S5, or Varta Silver, I forget the actual numbers, I think it is 096 type.
Cheers
R

Tinman

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Just tried a jump start and it fired up first time without struggling. I switched it off and it started again first time. I will look at getting the battery replaced. I was also going to look at getting one of those re-chargeable jump packs as well as a battery charger or even better something that does the 2 jobs. I've seen an RAC one for £29.99 but have no idea if it would be sufficient to start the car.

Tinman

Another question, what would you suggest the type of journey I need to keep the battery charged up? I always try and take her for a run on the weekend but have struggled to do this the last two weekends due to family commitments.

CatmanV2

A £29 jump pack should just about do it, but I'd not bet on it doing it very often, or very many times.

You'd be better (IMHO) getting a CTEK type thing, and simply plugging the car in, then you don't need to worry about driving it. If you're flattening your battery that often, it's not going to do it a world of good.

Make sense?

C

hodroyd

Tinman,
I have a "Ring" charger that also has a start mode, I think it pushes out about 80 amps for a short blast, will start the car if there is some battery left too. If your car is struggling after a week, I would guess the battery is dodgy..!! If the battery is dodgy and over winter you don't get chance to take her out, it will probably kill the battery anyway. You could try switching off the power in the boot..!!
Cheers
R

Last edited:

dem maser

at one time few years back i started her up for a meet and the battery was flat, so since then i switch it off, you hear its bad as the ECU keeps forgetting things but its been alright in the 2 years ive been doing it

hodroyd

There's only a few things you have to educate the ECU with, simple enough, it does not always lose all the data..!!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I always leave mine on a battery conditioner. I don't want her forgetting how I drive!