Suddenly getting 2 Warm-up catalilyst codes CEL codes

Fossy

Hi All,

Really weird, iv been enjoying the car whenever I get the chance since sorting my last problem of the standard cats blowing up, then replaced them with gutting the primaries, and welding in 2 stainless 200 cell secondaries in place of the big boys.
Been driving occasionally for 3 months at a guess without fault, and suddenly I get a P0421 (bank 1 cat) and P0431 (bank 2 cat) 'warm up catalyst' check engine light ??? Iv checked the cats with my work inspection camera (you know, a bendy wiggly thing that goes through tiny holes with an LED light) and they both look fine.
Has anyone else had this problem, and also starts fine, but once in gear when cold, it runs really bad when pulling away, really stumbling and f4rt1ng, but better when warmed up.
I'm wondering if I have another problem causing this like MAF or re-circulation circuit, but iv checked all the hoses everywhere for leaks, and nothing.
Iv checked all the plugs and leads, they appear fine as when running, I disconnect each one in turn, and get the idle drop, then connect and it clears up ?
Its always run like stubbly since Iv owned it when cold, and even when warm it isn't right, but better.
Iv renewewed both front O2 sensors, and all cats removed (due to them falling appart)and 2 new 200 cell metal ones instead and been ok till now. Car has 42000 miles on clock and full service 7 months ago inc. new plugs etc

NB. to add, the first engine light appeared a week ago after I had been driving down an arterial road at 70 for a while, then took slip lane and waited for the lights to change.
When I pulled away, I pushed the pedal and got a 'pop' in the exhaust front section and immediately the CEL appeared.
I cleared it once home thinking a P0421 (right side) 'warm up catalyst light' appeared because of the pop in the exhaust, but a day later got a P0431 (left side) CEL indicating the other side was suffering too.
Its got to be down to the idle/pullaway aspect as this is when they both appeared.

Last edited:

Parisien

Fossy, take her to your nearest indie for an SD check up...saves a lot of time and guessing

P

Fossy

I did read on the good old web only a few days ago, about a guy who had owned his 4200 for 3 years and had the same poor pullaway when cold, and boggy throttle low revs as I have.
Turned out, his ECU was loaded with USA map ?? once cleared and sorted, ran fine, but surely the maserati's in America run fine don't they ?
I'd guess my problem is from another component going south, maybe MAF etc, but someone said about the fuel filter or the carbon canister ? but surely if these were iffy, I'd not get full power either ?

Last edited:

Emtee

I did read on the good old web only a few days ago, about a guy who had owned his 4200 for 3 years and had the same poor pullaway when cold, and boggy throttle low revs as I have.
Turned out, his ECU was loaded with USA map ?? once cleared and sorted, ran fine, but surely the maserati's in America run fine don't they ? but still a punt

Can't think how you would have got the US software on your car, but emissions reg's are different in America. The MAF seems a logical place to start. Hope you get it sorted.

Fossy

How you doing Emtee, not been here for ages (work boo). Yeah the software bit seems way out, but a MAF is a quick change and not too pricey, and does control the whole runnings of the show when cold and warm. Sure I can find a bosch one somewhere rather than from maserati.

Emtee

Good thanks Fossy. Not been on so much myself..same reason :( Hope all is good with you?

These might help with the bosch alternative... Taken from my old 4200...

IMG_0201.jpgIMG_0196.jpg