Alfa 33 Rebuild

conaero

Forum Owner
Hello stranger....you have been busy, looking great.

Brining it to the SM Xmas party this year???

conaero

Forum Owner
Ah, my Friday afternoon 33 fix :)

Be so careful taking it out mate, I did the same on my Opel GT and the engine swung forward and chipped the bulkhead.

Does it come out from underneath (here's hoping)

Keep going lad, the finish line is in sight.

Who built the engine, give them a kick!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Always nice to catch up on your progress.
From painted and repaired bare shell to MOT when I rebuilt my Stag took over 4 years, I think you have done very well!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Yes timing issue sounds very likely if cams in wrong place, especially if you get no compression at at.
Not a biggy especially as the engine needs to come out anyway for the chassis strengtheners.

2b1ask1

Special case
Looks a peach I can't imagine I'd ever get there on a rebuild; more interested in the nuts and bolts.... That said I was found by my wife 'waxing' the engine bay on my old merc when I had the engine out!

(innuendos expected)

CatmanV2

Looks a peach I can't imagine I'd ever get there on a rebuild; more interested in the nuts and bolts.... That said I was found by my wife 'waxing' the engine bay on my old merc when I had the engine out!

(innuendos expected)

'Wife'? Oooeeer ;)

C

dickyb

Tragically, once the engine bay repairs are complete and the engine is fixed the epic will still not be over. Unfortunately it seems that rust is beginning to develop in all the seams of the doors/bootlid and bonnet, there are a number of factors involved in this which I can't really discuss on a public forum.

Not sure how clear it is on this photo but an example of the rust that's starting to appear on the seams:

P2220653.JPG

Last edited:

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
It shows you have made it a concours restoration because they rusted like that from the factory!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I know my 33P4 was bad, when I sold it (only 6 years old), the door skins where splitting at the bottom, rear panel under the lights bubbling down the seams, and the bulkhead in the engine bay was totally red rust on the surface!

zagatoes30

When I had my Giulietta restored we looked at dipping but Ian Ellis who did the work has had bad experience on 105 series cars hence why we decided to go down the more expensive route of cutting out all the rot and welding in new steel. 5 years later and no sign of it reappearing.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
When I had my Giulietta restored we looked at dipping but Ian Ellis who did the work has had bad experience on 105 series cars hence why we decided to go down the more expensive route of cutting out all the rot and welding in new steel. 5 years later and no sign of it reappearing.

Thats what I did with the Stag, the bare shell was grit blasted, and new panels welded in.
Before new panels where welded in the shell was etch primed, anti-chip, then top coated, including behind the panels, so as much paint unseen as on top.
That was nearly 25 years ago now, and its lasted but its seen no salty winters, the real killer!