F1 Pump removal and fitting instructions; With pics.

Massa Rati

Nice instructions here! I used them and successfully fixed my problem. I got the dreaded LEVEL light, and after doing reseaarch, I discovered that it is this reservoir level that it's refering to. Cheeze. Lemme just get my rant over with, and then I'll move on. What the heck was Maserati thinking when they located this simple reservoir? Oh my God!
Okay, I feel better now. So, the reason why my LEVEL dropped is that the rubber hose that connects the bottom of the reservoir to the pump was impaled, and had a very slow leak. So, basically, I replaced it, and then filled the reservoir with new hydraulic oil.
Here are some noteable observations that I have, now that I have gone thru this ordeal:
  • I was told to use Pentosin CHF 11S hydraulic oil - not tranny fluid or brake fluid.
  • My car (2006 Gran Sport) has a protective panel, which also does a good job of hiding it from view. This panel is quite small, and is held-on by two weld studs, with washers & nuts. One of these is completely not able to be seen. You must go by feel to remove, and eventually, re-assemble.
  • Instead of doing that to the large protective trunk panel thingy, use 25 & 30mm star (Torx) drivers to remove the black panel under it. That will allow the thingy to drop well out of the way to gain access to the reservoir cap.
  • I needed a 6" long piece of 7/16" hose to replace the damaged one. I bought 3 feet, and used the 2.5 feet for filling the reservoir with funnel. The hose fit nicely to the bottom of the funnel. It was still difficult to get the hose end completely into the top of the reservoir though. Man, it's tight. I would suggest an even more bendable tubing, like Tygon.
  • Get a very patient helper to help you fill it. Over-filling it causes a freakin mess, leading to bad feelings, and prolonged misery.
That's all I can remember for now. From start to finish took me over a week. I had no reason to rush, and it was my first trip under this car, so I did a lot of gawking around. A few workdays left this work idle, especially when I was waiting for my Advanced Auto supply store to get-in this special oil for me.
I have 68 photo's. Yes, 68. I tend to just go crazy clicky clicky. So, I'll only post a few. Any requests? Any questions?

Massa Rati

This was my hose leak. After I wiped it off real good, you can see where it got wet again. You can also see where the pointy object also went thru the corrugated protective sheath, which I have slid shifted to the right.
IMG_0389.jpg
There's the pump & tank. My hose is the one most prominently shown were, coming off of the bottom of the tank.
IMG_0391.jpg
Here's the "easy"weld stud which holds a protective covering, which protectes the pump & tank (removed here).
IMG_0392.jpg

Massa Rati

Here's everything, a bit further-back...
IMG_0404.jpg
Here, I'm pointing to where the reservoir is, behind the big protective panel thingy.
IMG_0416.jpg
Here's the special hydraulic oil.
IMG_0417.jpg

Massa Rati

Removing this underpanel will allow the protective pannel thingy to drop down nicley out of the way.
IMG_0453.jpg
Here's that underpanel, outta there. That was easy.
IMG_0452.jpg
See how the protective panel thingy dropped?
IMG_0400.jpg
And now, you can get to the reservoir... without bending-up that protective panel thingy. (reservoir cap is lying there, next to my mirror.)
IMG_0418.jpg
And you make that darned hose end go into the reservoir... flexible Tygon tubing would be so much easier... it's tight under there!
You can see the wires for the LEVEL light level sensor coming out the top of the reservoir, to the left.
IMG_0419.jpg

Massa Rati

Here's that small protective panel that covers the pump & tank. Sorry, this is my only "kitchen" photo. That's my kitchen counter.
The triangular portion of it bends down, to the weld stud, when you put it back on. (You bend it up like this, to get it off of the weld stud and outta there, when you remove it.)
IMG_0443.jpg
Here it is, re-installed. See the easy weld stud holding it on? The other one is not fun. (8mm wrench) See my new hose? I wrapped both ends of that protective corrugated plastic sheath with electrical tape, stretching it on as I wrapped it on. Why? Stones and stuff get in there if it's just left open. Not good for the rubber hose!
IMG_0460.jpg
And again.
IMG_0446.jpg

Massa Rati

Yeah, South Carolina. Maserati's are quite rare around here. I need to get my personal info entered-in... I was directed here to this thread from another forum, to read these instructions. This is great stuff - it surely did come in handy!

adam01

Yeah, South Carolina. Maserati's are quite rare around here. I need to get my personal info entered-in... I was directed here to this thread from another forum, to read these instructions. This is great stuff - it surely did come in handy!

txs

GIVEAWAY was the gasoline filler can

Enjoy the ride,

alexholmes

Huge thanks to Predator and Massa Rati for the write up and pics. Just lost all the f1 fluid after a drive :eek:( Pretty sure a hose has let go, will tackle this on Monday. Hopefully it will be fairly obvious where the leak is coming from...

alexholmes

It appears to be the connector block that had disintegrated part 175667. Not what I was expecting to find but not an expensive fix. Does anyone know what the procedure for bleeding the system is likely to be? With the connector being at a low point I imagine any air wont be able to work its way out easily, there is a bleed nipple but does this need to be used in conjunction with an SD2/3?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 61

alexholmes

Not yet Parisien. Ordered through Eurospares online on the 9th and still waiting... Glad I haven't been missing out on any nice weather. Will update when it arrives.

Parisien

Ok....as it turns out, the pumps for sale are usually minus the ECU part which Maserati automatically include with theirs...hence their cheapness!

P

range83

Hello,
I Thank You for this post. You have a great forum, there is no comparable forum in France ...
Following your advice, I ordered the pump and the relay in England ...
Maserati garage told me he had to pass the car's computer after the change of the pump, to calibrate the gearbox? Is this true?

Excuse me for my English! ...

Sincerely,
Thierry

My car: 4200 Coupe F1 in 2005

Parisien

Bonjour Thierry,

Welcome to our forum, according to the thread, its just a simple swop over and then refill......don't beleive you need an SD 2 reading, but if you change the clutch itself you do.

P

range83

Thank you for your answer,
That's what I think too! ..

Why "Parisien", you are French? I'm from southern France, between Marseilles and St Tropez.

Thierry ;-)

Parisien

Irish...... Thierry....see the thread below................you could have met up with us last month!!!

P