"Gear unavailable" - help!

phills1

How do you see the clutch wear on these? Is it via multimedia centre or by dealer of diagnostics only ?

Clutch wear is via the diag I believe, but also I've been told there is a 10% tolerence either way so could be less or more so it's not 100% spot on.....

voicey

It's via the diagnostics machine (I have one). The wear reading is just an estimate of the wear based on the current distance it takes to close the clutch and a parameter entered when the clutch was renewed. It can be very unreliable - I have driven cars reporting 100% wear with zero issues.

If you want a reading and can get yourself to SE3 I'd be happy to provide one FOC.

Contigo

Sponsor
This has popped up on mine now 4 times in a week. Does it indicate clutch on its way out?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
This has popped up on mine now 4 times in a week. Does it indicate clutch on its way out?

Not necessarily. Mine used to do it from time to time, and increasingly so as the clutch wear increased. It stopped doing it when I had the clutch replaced last year and did it again last week, about 4/5k miles later. It could just be a stoopid software glitch but I'd get a someone who knows what they're doing (Voicey, for example) to have an electronic poke round. Giving the PIS setting and the clutch a swift kick in the ar5e will most likely sort things out.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
A strange one Adam - has it reoccurred since last week or has it stopped again?

Hard to say. It did it once on the way back from Brooklands but I had accidentally "double-clicked" the paddle (up-shifting) so I suspect I probably just p1ssed it off. Since then I've only been out with Mrs Crud and she don't dig MC, so it was a more sedate experience, so to say. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it, but I'm not worried.

StuartW

ok, but yes - an odd one & hopefully just something that can be ignored and filed in the 'character' section

MikeyMaser

Coincidentally, this also happened to me for the first time about a week ago. I was giving it fair amount of beans in MC Shift mode from a standing start after it had been idling for a while.
I clicked the up paddle for 2nd gear and it came up "Gear unavailable" and bounced off the limiter for less than a second then sorted itself out.
It hasn't happened again and I've probably done another 100 miles since!
I'm on around 22k miles and would hope I'm not due a clutch yet as it had very low clutch wear reading (< 15%) when I bought it with just over 14k on it.

Wanderer

Just reading this thread as I had a 'gear unavailable' today.

I was doing 40mph, in 40 zone of course, and the lights changed, conscious of red light camera in the area I decided to anchor on, a lot more brutal than I've ever done before, always felt the QP's brakes were a bit ineffective but give 'em a good press and they certainly aren't!

Anyway, as I stopped I saw on the panel in front flash 'gear unavailable' - I was in manual non-sport mode, usually let the box change down itself, to be honest I anchored so quick no time to even reach the paddle anyway.

Drove away ok, no issues. Suspect I anchored so quickly it didn't have time to change down properly, but thought I'd ask in case....

G

Guest 1678

Get that all the time on the 599 with multiple elecrtrical warnings. On that basis that the mechanical bits work I am assuming the Italian software developers are more sensitive to an IsError condition.

safrane

Had the same thing happen to me after a rather spirited drive coss country on a chalk covered road in Champagne. (Startled a little old man in his Renault 4 van who was left for dust).

Came to a unexpected cross road and had to brake rather forcefully... the car bleeped the error message for the CC box ( three or four high pitch bleeps and the red light.

It went out and nothing for the rest of the trip. No codes stored when checked with Emblem via SD3. Car performed as normal for the rest of my ownership and is still without issue some five years later. (I keep in touch with its new owner in France)