"Gear unavailable" - help!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

At high revs only and in Sport mode I get a "gear unavailable" message when trying to change up. I read on the "other" forum that this could be pump, clutch or gearbox fluids in need of attention. Have any of you had any experiences with this warning and what to do about it?

Thanks,
Adam

Torenno Performance

Adam - Sorry to hear about this.

On my old QP, i had a similar issue, which was eventually traced to the F1 sensor in the gearbox. But various other things were checked. Best to get on a SD3 and get it looked at.

Regards

Noor

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Noor. I'll get it down to the workshop this week. Just hoping the warranty will pick it up, whatever it is!

By the way, look out for an email from me- I finally got that video from Bristol from my son.

fcz360

Sparky
Adam

i had this last year at the Bruntingthorpe Track day, i had been ragging it all day and then it refused to change from 2nd to 3rd a few times with the same message " gear unavailable", it did change eventually.

I stopped to let everything cool down and its seemed to clear up straight away and its never happened since. Is is all the time?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Frank,

Not all the time. In MC Shift only, and when I'm pushing hard and using the fast gearchange. It happened maybe once or twice before and then on Saturday it did it twice on one fairly short drive - maybe 20 minutes. So everything was warmed up, MC light on and then a brief refusal to change before finding the gear.

Parisien

Get an SD check up....maybe need reset by indie garage........especially if only happening intermittenly and or in specific circumstances

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Mr. P. I'll get it down there this afternoon and the magic diagnostics machine can see what's up. I'll report back.

Parisien

How many miles on this clutch....notice any slipping?

Not sure if any/many of the 4200/GS foibles carried over to the GT...again, could be as simple fluid needs topped up...but will wait for results of visit

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
26k, Frank, original clutch. Reading two weeks ago was 48% so the clutch *should* be ok and certainly seems to be behaving. Assuming that's all fine then some combination of pump / pressure / fluids seems plausible... but I'm a long way off having any meaningful experience with these things!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
'twas nothing that sent any alerts flashing on the diagnostics kit, so they reset the clutch settings, cleared down a few codes (whatever that means... but it sounds helpful) and said to come back if it does it again.

Parisien

Fingers Xed Adam,..........its just your mistress wanting some extra attention......:)

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I gave her a delicious rubbing down with sensual oils and treated her to some sexy "back-end" rubber gear. She even had a medical check-up (can't be too careful) and passed with flying colours (just an advisory that she'll need some new rubber up her front end before too long. I hope she was just teasing me with threats that her gear is unavailable.

Parisien

........essential oils are good............fresh rubber is nearing the fetish scene....as for being able to select her gear.......it might well require even more lubrication......;)

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Something with a high melting point I think, Frank. And I feel she needs a good claying (for her complexion) and then a thorough waxing.

Parisien

Something with Molybdenum....init...;)....melting point about 2500 degrees........getting down and dirty then go for an complete under carriage waxing sounds good.......;)

P

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The exhausts need a good seeing to as well. A bit of care and attention to clear away some of the deposits.

Parisien

...not so sure about getting terribly dirty around her rear....ooohhhhh............;)

P