Remove and Replace Gransport Bonnet Shield

johncaul

Hello all, the title says it all really. I've just received my replacement bonnet shield from Eurospares- the old one was getting tatty. Has anyone got any tips or things to watch out for when replacing it? I can see it bolts on, presumably I need to remove the mesh grill and go in through there.

Cheers
John

conaero

Forum Owner
Hi John, sorry I missed your post. The proper way to replace this badge is to remove the front bumper which is a big job. I would just check you cant get to the back of it via removing the grill.

Many on here have taken the route of screwing a hook or self tapper into the badge and breaking it off, then bonding the new one in place.

Good luck.

Parisien

My guy tried to get at nut on retaining bolt through bonnet catch opening as someone else did, then he opted to drill its through, then he found out it had already been drilled through, so in effect it was just stuck on, so we also just stuck mine on too!!

Threre is a thread on it here!

P

abyss

I replaced mine without removing bumper. Simply just remove the front grill then use your hand to separate the plastic bits in the area until you can locate the nut. Use a long socket to access the nut behind behind. Once removed the nut just simply use dental floss to separate the double sided tape behind the badge.

It's quite easy and no need to remove bumper or drill them out.

johncaul

Thanks for the replies. The job's done, unfortunately I didn't get pics. In the end I went in through the grill, like Abyss. The steps were unscrew the 5 bolts holding the grill in place, remove the grill, remove the black plastic lining behind the grill, use a socket to unscrew the bolt holding the badge on from underneath (7mm I think?), then use floss to cut through the sticky holding the badge to the bumper. It's a simple, if fiddly, job and probably took 1 hour all in.
It's also a good opportunity to clean up/ detail around the grill and the grill itself. I also took the grill to pieces, removed the trident and re-sprayed the mesh matt black, it suits the dark paintwork and shadow coloured wheels on my car much better than chrome.

Cheers
John

conaero

Forum Owner
Thats a shame John, I wanted a chrome mesh grill, have the matt black GS one at present...could have done a swappsy!

Phil H

I replaced mine without removing bumper. Simply just remove the front grill then use your hand to separate the plastic bits in the area until you can locate the nut. Use a long socket to access the nut behind behind. Once removed the nut just simply use dental floss to separate the double sided tape behind the badge.

It's quite easy and no need to remove bumper or drill them out.

Just resurrecting the thread having changed my badge.

Unfortunately the 'captive' hex head inside the badge wasn't so captive and it rotated as the socket was turned on the nut. Having very carefully opened the front of the badge I could hold the head whilst unscrewing the nut under the slam panel (it helps to have long arms).
Abyss's guidance was otherwise good, but I strongly advise that you mask around the badge before starting.

Before.jpgBadge.jpgBadge 2a.jpg

If you've not seen them the bottom grill clips are like this:

Spigot.jpgCaptive clip.jpg

PH

outrun

Thats a shame John, I wanted a chrome mesh grill, have the matt black GS one at present...could have done a swappsy!

I might be tempted at a swap Matt. Can you PM a photo of the black so that I can better imagine it in place? I have black wheels etc etc so might add to the subtle aggressive look.

Athol

redsonnylee

A great thread, I’ve just followed the instructions and replace my bonnet shield this afternoon. Found a dead bird all toasted so now I know what the burnt smell was.