Chrome air vents - again

MAF260

I know this subject has been discussed repeatedly, but so far nothing seems to have progressed.

I recently spoke to a local engineering firm about manufacturing replacements for the chrome rings on the air vents. It seems more than likely that this can be done, either in aluminium (polished or brushed) or perhaps stainless steel.

What I need is some old plastic parts for the engineers to study and work with. I am currently Maserati-less, so can't use my own parts - does anyone have spares available to borrow to get this project rolling please? I believe there are 2 sizes of air vents, so would need one of each.

Thanks

conaero

Forum Owner
Nice one MAF, sorry, replaced 5 or 6 over the 2 cars an have binned them all.

David Askew might send you one, especially if the chrome has flaked off, just mention this forum and I am sure he will oblige.

Andyk

I had two of mine sprayed when I had the 3200..Cortese did it before I picked it up...I take it this is a common problem..

Parisien

Just noticed mine are going the same way...................so I deliberately don't look at them!

P

Andyk

I think they are are really difficult yo remove. I remember Cortese saying that some were OK can there are a couple that you need to take the dash of to replace...Not sure if it's true though.

Tiburon44

Just started to notice the flaky chrome once I saw people mention it........I'll try Parisien's technique untl I can get them replaced/mended.

Parisien

Tiburon44;8846.I'll try Parisien's technique untl I can get them replaced/mended.[/QUOTE said:
See....Maseratisti.........quickest learners in the automotive world....:)...they aint too bad actually......one worse than the other.....

P

Gullible

I was told that it was probably best to gently remove the chrome effect.
I may just buy a set for the front anyway and see what happens.
I could also ask my breaker if he has a couple of flaky ones.

MAF260

I was told that it was probably best to gently remove the chrome effect.
I may just buy a set for the front anyway and see what happens.
I could also ask my breaker if he has a couple of flaky ones.

That would be useful if you could ask. I've emailed David Askew, but have yet to hear back.

MAF260

Quick update - David's been in touch and kindly offered to send some to me.

Once I've received them they'll be off to the engineering firm.....

lozcb

Quick update - David's been in touch and kindly offered to send some to me.

Once I've received them they'll be off to the engineering firm.....

Great news you are now able to get on the case Mark , so long as they are reasonable cost wise , you can put me down for a full set , any news on your own hunt, any Thoughts to make Chillo an offer , altho i cant remember what interior combo you preferred

regards loz

MAF260

Great news you are now able to get on the case Mark , so long as they are reasonable cost wise , you can put me down for a full set , any news on your own hunt, any Thoughts to make Chillo an offer , altho i cant remember what interior combo you preferred

regards loz

A few people have started making enquiries in the past, but nothing's ever come of it. I'll definitely follow up once the vents arrive from David Askew.

Loz, as for my search it's unfortunately been put on hold for a while - a broken wrist and lack of work are the culprits. I did talk to Simon about his car, but think it's priced too highly for a cat D. Great spec though and all the right colours for me of course...!

cowsurgeon

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear about your arm - hope it's on the mend? I'd be keen too for a full set. You'll be pleased to hear I'm still chuffed to bits with the car!

Parisien

- a broken wrist and lack of work are the culprits. I did talk to Simon about his car, but think it's priced too highly for a cat D. Great spec though and all the right colours for me of course...!

Sorry to hear of your break Mark, get well soon!

P